The incomparable Ron Wooding!

Ties for instance. Up to around me going in the military, ties were normal in width, but 'loud'. So I had a collection of these babies, and when I came out, dammit, they had gone out of fashion. I liked the slim, knitted ties that came in later. It was like being in a time warp, going in the Army. A lot of guys used to complain that National Service interrupted their career, their apprenticeship, lovelife, or something, as far as I was concerned, it screwed up my wardrobe.

Loved the shirts. I'm like Nelson Mandela in that respect. I do like a nice shirt. I've got to be frank fleets, I've worn them all, Arrow spearpoint. cutaway collar, Mr 'B' roll collar,(my favorit) button down, the ones where you had to wear a special little 'gizmo' to hold the collar together underneath the tie. (What did they call those collars?) You also had to have the broad tie clip, like Joe Friday, especially with the 'roll collared'.

Sometimes, I used to wear odd socks, yes I did. I did it on purpose. Then if anybody noticed, I could tell them I was a bass player. Strange thing is, nobody ever noticed.

I do remember the different types of shirts Tex, I also recall the shirt you mentioned with the rounded collar and the little eye-holes for the pin to go through that fitted under the tie, i'm sure I had one back when, if there is a name for that type i've long since forgotten also. *** I remember shopping for shirts and ties in Waingate(?) just down from the law courts, next to where you booked SUT coach trips, i've forgotten the name of shop (as it was then,) it's where I bought my Mr B shirt, they had a big picture of Billy Eckstine in the window posing with cigarette in hand and smoke curling up, totally inappropriate by to-days standards but what a handsome dude. *** I don't know if the 'Tern' trademark is still around or if anybody remembers it but I liked their shirts at that time also. Another place to shop for shirts and accessories was bottom of Snig Hill on the left-hand side before you got to the gun shop, it seemed they catered to a mass market with cheaper merchandise (Reeds, it was'nt). *** Please excuse my lack of names for some of these establishments but it was a good 50yrs ago!

Edited by fleetwood

You're probably thinking of Winstons, at the bottom of Snig Hill. They usually were at the 'cutting edge' of style, and sometimes some of the fashions could be a bit tacky. There prices weren't too bad, I bought a roll collared shirt there and took it to the SMC (Shirt Manufacturing Company top of Norfolk Street), and had them copy it. You could get shirts made there cheaper than off the shelf. I'll bet RW never thought of that one. The shirts with the rounded collars, I just used to call them 'pin under collars'. Winstons were the only place where one could buy those two tone sleeveless cardigans which were fashionable for about five minutes about 1950. Remember those? You had to have the top button undone, Lord knows why. About the same time they also had cardigans with sleeves, the sleeves having white bands around like the U.S university students used to wear. Very tacky,that one. They were the only place where you could buy the big chunky gold cuff links also. Cheap and nasty really, but they were wearable back then.

• 3 years later...

hi i am contacting you about this subject of Ron wooding, this sounds like my late uncle ron wooding. My cousin who lives in perth australia contacted me today as she found your article by chance about a Ron wooding and she couldnt get over the similarity of your discription about this person to her dad. he was an entertainer on club circuits when she was a little girl in the late

50s early 60s. They emigrated to australia in the early 60s. i am waiting to get more info from my cousin to see if we are talking about the same person. please could you let me know if you think this could be him and i will contact my cousin to let her know . many thanks jean

This is one of the most fascinating threads I have ever read on Sheffield forum.

It is about the generation that preceded the one that I was a teenager in[ although we copied the suits from Barney's ]and dress[ Sinatra stile].

Some of our lot had collarless suits but Barney wouldn't make em.

Winstons on Snigg Hill was the place for shirts and we used to get them with cardboard collars , Those bloody things used to cut into your neck and leave a red chapped ring the same as wellington boots without socks.

Then along came the Beatles and the smart dress and big time Charley look went out of the window [except for a few smart lads who still prop the bar up around Town and talk the talk that is!.

Edited by cuttsie

This is one of the most fascinating threads I have ever read on Sheffield forum.

It is about the generation that preceded the one that I was a teenager in[ although we copied the suits from Barney's ]and dress[ Sinatra stile].

Some of our lot had collarless suits but Barney wouldn't make em.

Winstons on Snigg Hill was the place for shirts and we used to get them with cardboard collars , Those bloody things used to cut into your neck and leave a red chapped ring the same as wellington boots without socks.

Then along came the Beatles and the smart dress and big time Charley look went out of the window [except for a few smart lads who still prop the bar up around Town and talk the talk that is!.

I remember buying shirts from Winston's. I always used to wonder why shirts were always priced up in shillings rather than pounds, shillings and pence.

hi i am contacting you about this subject of Ron wooding, this sounds like my late uncle ron wooding. My cousin who lives in perth australia contacted me today as she found your article by chance about a Ron wooding and she couldnt get over the similarity of your discription about this person to her dad. he was an entertainer on club circuits when she was a little girl in the late

50s early 60s. They emigrated to australia in the early 60s. i am waiting to get more info from my cousin to see if we are talking about the same person. please could you let me know if you think this could be him and i will contact my cousin to let her know . many thanks jean

jubs, my source doesn't have the original info from 2 or 3yrs ago, this is purely speculative on my part and from memory which fades from time to time, it seems as though there was an address in Chesterfield with a possible daughter with a last name of 'Dart' and I think it was established that Mr Wooding had passed away relatively young in the UK not Australia as you may have eluded too. Please don't take this as gospel for obvious reasons, I was not aware of any other activities of Mr Wooding, only what I posted. fleetwood

---------- Post added 13-11-2013 at 10:11 ----------

One last comment on the subject jubs, if you refer to the posting #3 by hillsbro on this thread there is a little more information that you might find pertinent to your request for additional info.

• 11 months later...

Hi Jubs, i dont know if you will see this message so long after posting. Im unable to message you privately are you able to send me a message please. Thankyoi

---------- Post added 05-11-2014 at 21:29 ----------

Does anybody know if this Ron Wooding also had a hobby of any kind...particularly wrestling?