Barbecue on balcony, NOT AMUSED!

........part of a house or dwelling place and as such it is ilegal to have 'open fires' within its confines.

Multiple Occupancy and the specifics of the OP aside, there is no law or regulation that stops me from having a campfire in the middle of my lounge.

I don't really see the problem to be honest - if your door wasn't broken you could close it and you probably wouldn't have even noticed?

What about the incredibly dangerous fire hazard that could put them and everyone else at risk?

:roll:

Why is a barbecue an 'incredibly dangerous fire hazard'? I can understand the OP's complaint about the dirt, smoke and smell, but how does that translate to 'incredibly dangerous fire hazard'? It could be 'half a pound of glowing charcoal in a stout metal container' it could be a butane/propane flame beneath heating elements (lava rock) under a grill. (Are gas cookers legal in Sheffield?) Or it could be an electrically-heated grill. (There are probably one or two of those around, too.)

As for 'open fires being illegal' when did that happen? Have all the chimneys in Sheffield been blocked up?

It appears that the OP has anti-social neighbours. That's unfortunate, but perhaps some action which might address that problem (the anti-social behaviour) might be the way to go ... providing it doesn't provoke a violent response.

Hence my question of whether it's even considered an open fire.

It's not like they'd built a bonfire on the balcony, presumably it was in a metal BBQ and wasn't actually a fire risk at all.

Were they even being anti-social, they probably aren't aware that the OP has a broken door, which sounds like the real problem here.

Archived