Barbecue on balcony, NOT AMUSED!

I don't really see the problem to be honest - if your door wasn't broken you could close it and you probably wouldn't have even noticed?

It wouldnt have caused so much of a problem if my door would have closed, however, the balcony is covered, and each balcony has outlets on it for the ventilation of the appartments on each floor. it wasnt so much the coal smell but the smell of the fuel used to start the fire. my curtains smell like the tshirt of someone who has spent hours cooking at a barbecue.

Hence my question of whether it's even considered an open fire.

It's not like they'd built a bonfire on the balcony, presumably it was in a metal BBQ and wasn't actually a fire risk at all.

Were they even being anti-social, they probably aren't aware that the OP has a broken door, which sounds like the real problem here.

as i mentioned before, the balconies are an integral part of the buiding, not a ledge on the side of the building. the were using disposables barbecues sat on bricks seven floors up. when i used to have barbecues and lived in a house i would inform neighbors at least.

I dont think its allowed and I dont think you are over reacting... I would be straight round there having words!! We have some right idiot neighbours in our block of apartments who are equally inconsiderate... I would get intouch with the management company and get them told!!

glad im not the only one! we can handle the odd party and turn a blind eye to them smoking funny stuff on the balcony but these were decent apartments when i first moved in over a year ago, they have moved all sorts in now, bags of rubbish left all over, bits of kebab and chips left in the lift, loud music at all hours on some floors. i guess there are a limited number of decent people that want to rent around here. managemnet seem hardly bothered.

I don't really see the problem to be honest - if your door wasn't broken you could close it and you probably wouldn't have even noticed?

That's hardly the point! He/she should be able to have the door open anyway, without the smoke and foul smells drifting in.

That's hardly the point! He/she should be able to have the door open anyway, without the smoke and foul smells drifting in.

That argument could be applied to anywhere, it could be my neighbours having a BBQ in their garden and my back door. I think it's bogus though, I shouldn't be able to have my door open all the time, if I could then I wouldn't need a door.

I wonder if these neighbours were even aware that it was causing a problem though, I'd guess not.

glad im not the only one! we can handle the odd party and turn a blind eye to them smoking funny stuff on the balcony but these were decent apartments when i first moved in over a year ago, they have moved all sorts in now, bags of rubbish left all over, bits of kebab and chips left in the lift, loud music at all hours on some floors. i guess there are a limited number of decent people that want to rent around here. managemnet seem hardly bothered.

If the management company aren't bothered then kindly inform them that you'll be reducing the service charge you pay until they start looking after the place. I don't know whether its the same set up as there is where I live, but the management company are only contracted to look after the place and if the residents decide they are crap then they will loose the contract.

That argument could be applied to anywhere, it could be my neighbours having a BBQ in their garden and my back door. I think it's bogus though, I shouldn't be able to have my door open all the time, if I could then I wouldn't need a door.

I wonder if these neighbours were even aware that it was causing a problem though, I'd guess not.

their balcony is directly below, so i was straight up and on the balcony.

If the management company aren't bothered then kindly inform them that you'll be reducing the service charge you pay until they start looking after the place. I don't know whether its the same set up as there is where I live, but the management company are only contracted to look after the place and if the residents decide they are crap then they will loose the contract.
The management company are the building owners, the owners of the appartments pay a service chrge to that company but let through different agents. The managment company contacted the tennants today but have said that it wasnt them, they denied having a barbecue, he went on to say that he felt bad for accusing them of something they have not done.

Archived