Looking for Theakers

teamla

egbutnobacon----yes, I remember the little gate as we had to play football in all weathers on that red shale pitch. [ The ball would often get kicked into the river ]. Also. on the football ground there was a long air-raid shelter, sealed off and presumably full of ' nothingness ' or old rubbish ?

Incidentally, egbutnobacon, WAS your grandad related in any way to the P.P. 's family ? I 'm afraid we 've both got a bit carried away, talking about the school ! Sorry O.P. ! [ Perhaps 1 last comment -----after they knocked down Lockwood & Carlisle 's there were about 4 empty houses between the factory & the top of Stalker Walk. We used to sneak into the houses and found a working telephone. I 've forgotten if we ever used it to play jokes on people-------but we probably did ! This would be about 1955 or 1956 ? ]. All the best !

I had the exact same problem searching on Ancestry - no idea where Thomas was in 1901!

I'll talk to you on PM. :)

hiya me again, i have been looking at my 1895 sheffield street directory, and found a thomas theaker and he was listed as a wireworker his home address was 45 bath street sheffield, a small world is it not as i was born and brought up (1938/61) on that street in fact 45 was just across the road from where i lived.

Hi Linda,

I'm not recognizing any of those Theakers, but I have no doubt there are many Theaker relatives in Sheffield (there are tons of records!). Do you know the names of your grandfather Frank Theaker's parents?

Elizabeth

Linda is my cousin in Sheffield, her grandparents were mine of course. Our Grandma worked as a maid for Henry & Ruth Theaker, she married their youngest son Joseph Henry Theaker. His siblings were Ethelbert, Ruth Ada Matilda, Lilian, Harriet Maud, Lottie. My Grand-dad was disowned by the Theaker family for marrying my Grandma Ada Steele, we've only just traced the rest of his siblings with the help of a kind person on SF.

Linda is my cousin in Sheffield, her grandparents were mine of course. Our Grandma worked as a maid for Henry & Ruth Theaker, she married their youngest son Joseph Henry Theaker. His siblings were Ethelbert, Ruth Ada Matilda, Lilian, Harriet Maud, Lottie. My Grand-dad was disowned by the Theaker family for marrying my Grandma Ada Steele, we've only just traced the rest of his siblings with the help of a kind person on SF.

hiya,

in my 1895 directory it lists a henry theaker,ironmonger and general dealer,sheaf market, home 2 myrtle rd.also a mrs ruth theaker teacher of dancing (proffessor) also of 2 myrtle rd .there was also a theaker engineering co of cornish street, and london

Sorry! did get carried away with old memories. My Great Great Grandad John Maw Theaker and his siblings originally came to Sheffield in the 1800's from Belton (between Doncaster and Hull). He married Anne Burton and their children were Thomas Burton Theaker (our Great Grandad),Samuel,George Henry,John Maw,Clara,Kate,Frank William,Annie Elizabeth. Thomas married Mary Anne Firth and they had George, Thomas, John(Jack) and William (our Grandad) so if there are any Theakers out there that recognise any of those names....I would love to hear from them!!

Sorry I am still learning about my family and got a bit confused. I was never told about my grandad until last cuple of weeks and for most of my life I thought he was called Frank. My cousin has now set me straight. - my great grandparents were Henry and Ruth Theaker, they lived at 2 Myrtle Road and my grandma (Ada Steele) married their youngest son Joseph Henry

Sorry I am still learning about my family and got a bit confused. I was never told about my grandad until last cuple of weeks and for most of my life I thought he was called Frank. My cousin has now set me straight. - my great grandparents were Henry and Ruth Theaker, they lived at 2 Myrtle Road and my grandma (Ada Steele) married their youngest son Joseph Henry

I share your confusion I have tried to find my familly with just a brick wall, I now find out my dad had 2 brothers when I was always told he had just one sister. The Theakers seem to be very unable to be open about the past.

My concern is what is in the Closet and do I realy want to know, well yes and thanks to this site I am finding out a form of the truth, which I now can not ask my Mum or Dad as they have both past away. Because of this thread I will now ask for help and information from others.

Dave Theaker

Archived