Do We Take Offence Too Easily?

There have been several celebrity "Roasts" on telly over the past few days and last night was William Shatners` turn.

The show was good, it was funny and close to the bone and the audience were roaring with laughter at all the fat and wig and bad actor jokes that were going Shatners way.

A few nights ago we Brits had a roast of Chris Tarrant.

Jimmy Carr stood and introduced Tarrants Tiswas colleague, Sally James, saying that she was like a fine wine as she aged, and like most fine wines she had turned to vinegar.

The audience were horrified and hissed and booed Carr and he had to defend himself and looked very uncomfortable afterwards. The rest of the show was to say the least, tame, certainly tamer than the American versions and you could feel the frustration of the celebs as they had to hold back on their insults.

I was talking to the OH afterwards and she said its because people are far too easily offended and reminded me of Carrs` joke about the injured soldiers who are returning from war zones, Carr said that we would have a cracking disabled olympic team and got into a lot of trouble because of it, in spite of the fact that he was simply repeating what the troops themselves were saying.

ARE we too easily offended? Do you think that TV and radio and...well, EVERYTHING has become bland because of the fear of people being offended?

I know of people who will go to a lot of trouble to watch an entire programme just so they can be horrified by what they saw and wont hesitate to complain about it.

What do you think? Do these people simply exist to cause trouble? Or is it simple stupidity? I mean, if you dont wish to see or read or hear something then dont go to the trouble to experience it in the first place, yes?

Any road up, DISCUSSORILLKILLYA!

Far far far too easily offended. The worst type is when people are offended on behalf of other people, who weren't that offended in the first place. Its like a plague.

Ps Jabberwokky, Happy 28 thousand'th post!

Bloody hell I hadnt noticed the post count!

Jesus I need to get a hobby! :D

There have been several celebrity "Roasts" on telly over the past few days and last night was William Shatners` turn.

The show was good, it was funny and close to the bone and the audience were roaring with laughter at all the fat and wig and bad actor jokes that were going Shatners way.

A few nights ago we Brits had a roast of Chris Tarrant.

Jimmy Carr stood and introduced Tarrants Tiswas colleague, Sally James, saying that she was like a fine wine as she aged, and like most fine wines she had turned to vinegar.

The audience were horrified and hissed and booed Carr and he had to defend himself and looked very uncomfortable afterwards. The rest of the show was to say the least, tame, certainly tamer than the American versions and you could feel the frustration of the celebs as they had to hold back on their insults.

I was talking to the OH afterwards and she said its because people are far too easily offended and reminded me of Carrs` joke about the injured soldiers who are returning from war zones, Carr said that we would have a cracking disabled olympic team and got into a lot of trouble because of it, in spite of the fact that he was simply repeating what the troops themselves were saying.

ARE we too easily offended? Do you think that TV and radio and...well, EVERYTHING has become bland because of the fear of people being offended?

I know of people who will go to a lot of trouble to watch an entire programme just so they can be horrified by what they saw and wont hesitate to complain about it.

What do you think? Do these people simply exist to cause trouble? Or is it simple stupidity? I mean, if you dont wish to see or read or hear something then dont go to the trouble to experience it in the first place, yes?

Any road up, DISCUSSORILLKILLYA!

I'm offended that you think I'm easily offended.

Me and my bloke watched the 100 greatest stand-up comedians thing that was on over the weekend and I found myself laughing at Chubby Brown, Jethro and Chris Rock before thinking "Ooh, I'm sure I'm supposed to be outraged and disgusted really"

I remember laughing at a really funny joke by Bernard Manning once.

I've never laughed at Jim Davidson. He manages to be offensive without being the least bit funny.

Archived