Do We Take Offence Too Easily?

There have been several celebrity "Roasts" on telly over the past few days and last night was William Shatners` turn.

The show was good, it was funny and close to the bone and the audience were roaring with laughter at all the fat and wig and bad actor jokes that were going Shatners way.

A few nights ago we Brits had a roast of Chris Tarrant.

Jimmy Carr stood and introduced Tarrants Tiswas colleague, Sally James, saying that she was like a fine wine as she aged, and like most fine wines she had turned to vinegar.

The audience were horrified and hissed and booed Carr and he had to defend himself and looked very uncomfortable afterwards. The rest of the show was to say the least, tame, certainly tamer than the American versions and you could feel the frustration of the celebs as they had to hold back on their insults.

I was talking to the OH afterwards and she said its because people are far too easily offended and reminded me of Carrs` joke about the injured soldiers who are returning from war zones, Carr said that we would have a cracking disabled olympic team and got into a lot of trouble because of it, in spite of the fact that he was simply repeating what the troops themselves were saying.

ARE we too easily offended? Do you think that TV and radio and...well, EVERYTHING has become bland because of the fear of people being offended?

I know of people who will go to a lot of trouble to watch an entire programme just so they can be horrified by what they saw and wont hesitate to complain about it.

What do you think? Do these people simply exist to cause trouble? Or is it simple stupidity? I mean, if you dont wish to see or read or hear something then dont go to the trouble to experience it in the first place, yes?

Any road up, DISCUSSORILLKILLYA!

I feel like Brits (like many other peoples) are very offended when people poke fun and or deride their country or anything associated with it, even if its things that you poke fun of yourselves (eg, the NHS). On the other hand, you Brits seem far less offended by non-culturally specific, like the group of drunkards that I saw last week that were dressed up in black-face.

I remember when I was in my late teens and working at my first job where I had to pack and label customers work. One particular customer (I'll never forget her name.....mainly because she wasn't amused at my mistake) was called K. Hunt.

Unfortunately I got the K and H mixed up when labelling the package.:blush:

It was a mistake I didn't make again.;)

I know what you're thinking.....of course I did it on purpose. I was a teenager, it would have been wrong of me not to.:hihi:

Strange, isn't it?

I don't use the 'C' word in ordinary conversation ... I use 'by our lady' [bloody], and 'bugger' occasionally, but I don't ordinarily find a need to use profanities one word out of three.

(My parents taught me to gargle with razorblades; I can usually slice people into small pieces using long words ... and slow strokes. - It's much more fun ;))

Am I offended when people swear? - Not at all.

Am I offended when people can't say more than 2 or 3 words without one of those words being a swearword? - No, I'm not offended, but I'm saddened. - It's a pity when people can't express themselves adequately in their mother tongue.

The 'C' word:

I was at a friend's house some years ago when his daughter told us what she'd learned at school that day.

Apparently, there was this King of Danish origin who thought he could hold back the tide. She told us all about 'King C**t' - Hilarious! :hihi::hihi:

Apparently, you mustn't use the 'C' word (I'm going to write it here - let's see what happens - "****")

But it's OK to use the 'P' word (I'll write that here - again, let's see what happens - "Prick")

Amazing! - Is this some form of sexual discrimination?

When I was a child, we pondered the following:

"If Typhoo put the 'T' in BriTain, who put the ???? in Scunthorpe?"

The answer was, of course, the same bloke who put the A*** in Arsenal."

The 'obscenity editor' on this forum won't allow me to tell you the name of one of the mountains just down the road (the one with a tunnel through it which I traverse every day.) - A bit like 'Wink' but not quite.

It certainly won't allow me to mention the name of a village just a few miles away. - A bit like 'Fishing' but what you might do when it's too cold to go Fishing. ;)

But I can rattle on as long as I want to about 'mushy peas'.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Not only 'YMMV' but your kilometerage may also be subtly different.

Well done, Rupert.

Clearly you are the man who puts the "p" in underpants.!

One amusingly named town is very angry that its signs keep being stolen, the other has gone with the flow and has postcards and everything.

Juergen Stoll, the operator of a guesthouse at W____, close to the Austrian-German border, stated that the residents of F______ should be cashing in on its name, although Mayor Franz Meindl states "We don't find it funny. We just want to be left alone. We don't harm anyone and just want to live in peace."

One amusingly named town is very angry that its signs keep being stolen, the other has gone with the flow and has postcards and everything.

Quote:Juergen Stoll, the operator of a guesthouse at W____, close to the Austrian-German border, stated that the residents of F______ should be cashing in on its name, although Mayor Franz Meindl states "We don't find it funny. We just want to be left alone. We don't harm anyone and just want to live in peace."

Jürgen's guest house is in the Village of J. Arthur in Austria. The Mountain of the same name is outside my bedroom window. I have a friend in Michigan who's parents immigrated to the US from around here. - They didn't alter the spelling of their family name (Had they said 'Ve are called Vank' and spelt it with a 'V' they wouldn't have had a problem. - When Max comes to the UK, he finds life hard.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

(I suggested he should change his name to 'Headroom')

AFAIK, the people who live in the 'F' place make a (not so) small fortune out of selling placenames.

I hope you enjoy your mushy's tomorrow.:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Archived