Identifying a black and white bird that isn't a magpie!

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm not a bird watcher but whilst out walking in Rossendale at the weekend I saw a black and white bird, about the size of a crow flying over a resevoir. I thought it was a Magpie but it had a very strange, high pitched tweet that i've never heard before, then when it came to land it had made it's nest on the ground?

I know it's a long shot but anybody have any suggestions of what it could have been?

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm not a bird watcher but whilst out walking in Rossendale at the weekend I saw a black and white bird, about the size of a crow flying over a resevoir. I thought it was a Magpie but it had a very strange, high pitched tweet that i've never heard before, then when it came to land it had made it's nest on the ground?

I know it's a long shot but anybody have any suggestions of what it could have been?

Lapwing (aka Peewit) possibly.

Link

Thanks for that - but now I have another unanswered question. What the blazes is a bird that's supposed to nest in Tibet, doing at Rother Valley park?

At least now I know why trawls of the RSPB website didn't turn it up. It doesn't exist in Britain except in private menageries, so presumably this one has escaped from somewhere.

Thanks for that - but now I have another unanswered question. What the blazes is a bird that's supposed to nest in Tibet, doing at Rother Valley park?

At least now I know why trawls of the RSPB website didn't turn it up. It doesn't exist in Britain except in private menageries, so presumably this one has escaped from somewhere.

Read the final paragraph in the wikipedia link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar-headed_Goose

Archived