The Successes of our Labour Government

Well that's a bit odd cos it is the Office of National Statistics that is saying that it reached 9 Trillion and that the figure had previously been under-estimated.

"Household wealth reached £9 trillion in Great Britain between 2006 and 2008, according to a survey from the Office for National Statistics (ONS)."

Why keep quoting a BBC news title over the actual data still available and provided by the ONS?

"But they do show that the nation's wealth was originally far higher than the estimates derived from the national accounts.

An ONS spokesman said the main reason for the difference was probably that the new survey attributed a higher value to households' accrued pension rights than the national accounts."

The data is current, unless you can provide an alternative from the ONS and not a quote in some newspaper or blog, then their published data which is there for everyone to see is the only data we can go by and it says very clearly, the UK's net worth topped at 7 trillion in 2008 not 9.

Whether it is 7,8 or 9 Trillion, it is still a lot more than when Labour came to power.

So you are starting to begrudgingly concede you are wrong. This is a big step, now we can move on to the second part of my previous replies.

What exactly makes up the majority of this supposed wealth. House prices, which are across the board therefore mean NOTHING, zip, nil. There is no more money in your pocket, there is no more money to spend on goods, holidays and luxuries, it’s all tied up in an inflated housing bubble. The price of a house has increased across the country and unless you want to move from London to some deprived area of Glasgow you will not see this money as a liquid asset. Lastly this money is not real anyway as the vast majority of homes are mortgaged, therefore the bank actually owns them.

Your assertions that because our houses are worth X then we must have X in our pockets is like trying to explain the concept to a 7 year old. The value of your house is only relative to the area you live and is NOT a vault full of money you can spend. You can't spend your house when you need food!

It also affords your Tory friends lots of opportunities to take some of these assets away from people, just think how much you could make from the sale of Council Houses this time round, it must really have got your collective juices flowing.

Well the conservatives can’t sell the god reserves can they or even raid the pensions of the nation as old Gordon Bullion Brown has already been there and emptied them.

The cupboards are bare, and this is the fault of Labour, this is why they want to raise NI and VAT after doubling Income Tax for the poorest in society only a few years ago.

It's not the voters who worry me. It's the non-voters and those who hop up and down full of self-righteousness (and beer) before the election then on the day wimp out.

On the day of the election in 2005 I was livid! - I'm still bloody angry (and there is nothing else which has held my anger for so long - I have the attention span of a newt, but I'll explain.)

I don't like party politics. (I've said that many times and I'm prepared to say it every time I get a chance. I advocate a representative system where the representatives are 'obliged' to represent those who put them there (If only inasmuch as if they upset the electorate, they can be recalled.)

(Are any of the parties offering this? - It'd be a start!)

I knew I was going to be out of the country on the day of the 2005 general election. I was registered to vote, so I applied (in plenty of time - I applied a month or two beforehand - for an 'absentee' postal vote.

'Oh, certainly, Sir Rupert!'

'We'll get the paperwork to you in plenty of time, Sir'

On the day of the election, I was in Brussels.

I was not permitted to vote. That has never before happened to me. I was extremely displeased.

It was - as far as I was concerned - political rape. I was out of the country 'on government business' and the government (or its flunkies, who operated the voting offices) denied me the right to vote.

Was I upset? - Well slightly more than a bit.

Pales into insignificance when you consider the Lib Dems are assisting in having me imprisoned,

Just incase they succeed before the election ........ do prisoners get the right to vote ?

Why keep quoting a BBC news title over the actual data still available and provided by the ONS?

The data is current, unless you can provide an alternative from the ONS and not a quote in some newspaper or blog, then their published data which is there for everyone to see is the only data we can go by and it says very clearly, the UK's net worth topped at 7 trillion in 2008 not 9.

So you are starting to begrudgingly concede you are wrong. This is a big step, now we can move on to the second part of my previous replies.

What exactly makes up the majority of this supposed wealth. House prices, which are across the board therefore mean NOTHING, zip, nil. There is no more money in your pocket, there is no more money to spend on goods, holidays and luxuries, it’s all tied up in an inflated housing bubble. The price of a house has increased across the country and unless you want to move from London to some deprived area of Glasgow you will not see this money as a liquid asset. Lastly this money is not real anyway as the vast majority of homes are mortgaged, therefore the bank actually owns them.

Your assertions that because our houses are worth X then we must have X in our pockets is like trying to explain the concept to a 7 year old. The value of your house is only relative to the area you live and is NOT a vault full of money you can spend. You can't spend your house when you need food!

Well the conservatives can’t sell the god reserves can they or even raid the pensions of the nation as old Gordon Bullion Brown has already been there and emptied them.

The cupboards are bare, and this is the fault of Labour, this is why they want to raise NI and VAT after doubling Income Tax for the poorest in society only a few years ago.

I think the tories trumped labour by selling off state owned utilities....... mind you the french owned water we drink has a special tang to it now dont you think ?

Ok mate, if your House is worth "Nothing" I'll gladly take it off your hands and give it to a charity of your choice.

Have you ever heard of Equity Release, perhaps you might want to research it before telling us that inflated Hopusing prices are bad for everyone.

Regarding the selling off of our assets, surely "heaven forbid it happens" if your lot get in then the money you can make from selling off Council Homes will dwarf what you made the last time you were in power.

In terms of other assets, are you so blind that you cannot see that Schools, Hospitals,Government buildings, Roads, Parks, Museums are all worth considerably more now.

So once again, your grubby little party has got more to go at now so be grateful for it.

Ok mate, if your House is worth "Nothing" I'll gladly take it off your hands and give it to a charity of your choice.

Did I say it’s worth nothing? No! Stop reading what you want to read and listen to people.

Houses Prices are relevant to the area, therefore an increases means nothing as the house next door is also more expensive. This means when you move you are no better off unless you put more money in from other places other than the value of your home.

Seriously, go back to primary school to study maths as you are incapable of grasping the most basic concepts.

In terms of other assets, are you so blind that you cannot see that Schools, Hospitals,Government buildings, Roads, Parks, Museums are all worth considerably more now.

Let me answer this one as it shows your incompetence on the matter or your utter unquestioned loyalty to the labour party.

Schools - Failing

Hospitals - dirty, waiting lists fudged, staff paid pittance. Burger King restaurants now inside hospitals!

Government buildings - SOLD OFF to companies in tax havens, meaning the government cannot even claim back the VAT on the rent :roll:

Roads - One of the worst in the EU requiring billions to repair.

Parks - Listed, therefore worth nothing.

Museums - Again listed, so you have no access to the money.

Well these people seem to think so, perhaps it would help if you told us why you are better qualified than them to reach a figure.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8405901.stm

Titanic - why do you continually refer back to the same article? You are like a stuck record and all it shows is you don't have a grasp of real world application of economics.

Archived