How our society has degraded. Cultural Marxist/Critical Theory explained.

I've never heard the Frankfurt School's work described as propaganda before. Perhaps people could use (or more accurately, abuse) it for those purposes, but most of their work was about the objective deconstruction of modern society and understanding where things like culture come from. Hence critical thinking, not buying into the culture industry, questioning why things are the way they are, identifying hegemonic institutions etc. If anything, it's a defence mechanism against manufactured ideas that hide behind some grand tradition of which nobody knows the true meaning.

Heaven forbid we actually step back and take a look at modern society and the abstract formalities we blindly accept as "the norm".

The video appears to be condemning the study of these elements. Perhaps because when we do, we realise just how vacuous a lot of modern society is, and some people have money invested in keeping people ignorant.

I wonder if the author of that video truly understands the nature of the founding of the US beyond the hand-on-heart rhetoric spouted by the elite, propertied Esquires behind its formation. I suppose it's easier to believe a "myth of the nation" rather than question everything you've been brought up to believe by the PR industry and politicians.

A Conservative view of PC/Cultural Marxism/Critical Theory

...Horkheimer’s initial heresy is that he is very interested in Freud, and the key to making the translation of Marxism from economic into cultural terms is essentially that he combined it with Freudism. Again, Martin Jay writes, “If it can be said that in the early years of its history, the Institute concerned itself primarily with an analysis of bourgeois society’s socio-economic sub-structure,” – and I point out that Jay is very sympathetic to the Frankfurt School, I’m not reading from a critic here – “in the years after 1930 its primary interests lay in its cultural superstructure. Indeed the traditional Marxist formula regarding the relationship between the two was brought into question by Critical Theory.”

The stuff we’ve been hearing about this morning – the radical feminism, the women’s studies departments, the gay studies departments, the black studies departments – all these things are branches of Critical Theory. What the Frankfurt School essentially does is draw on both Marx and Freud in the 1930s to create this theory called Critical Theory. The term is ingenious because you’re tempted to ask, “What is the theory?” The theory is to criticize. The theory is that the way to bring down Western culture and the capitalist order is not to lay down an alternative. They explicitly refuse to do that. They say it can’t be done, that we can’t imagine what a free society would look like (their definition of a free society). As long as we’re living under repression – the repression of a capitalistic economic order which creates (in their theory) the Freudian condition, the conditions that Freud describes in individuals of repression – we can’t even imagine it. What Critical Theory is about is simply criticizing. It calls for the most destructive criticism possible, in every possible way, designed to bring the current order down. And, of course, when we hear from the feminists that the whole of society is just out to get women and so on, that kind of criticism is a derivative of Critical Theory. It is all coming from the 1930s, not the 1960s.

The theory is to criticize.

Heaven forbid. If the current economic and cultural order is so strong, just and sustainable, then it will have no problem standing up against criticism. But it's not. Much of it is weak, degenerate and wholly unsustainable, and its proponents should know it too well. Only critics can see that. Only people willing to step outside their bubble of "reality" and question the very cultural fabric of their existence will be in a position to change their ways and society for the better. People who don't criticise the status quo are trapped in a self deluded fantasy that this is "how things are" and that's that.

It's interesting that a true conservative would surely maintain any improvements that have already been made to a given economic or social order, yet in the same breath deny any further progress should be made, as if the maintainence of the current ecology is a desired end in itself.

He sounds quite critical, himself. He even seems to be using a derivative of critical theory in his analysis.

Is he not a Cultural Marxist in the same sense he condemns others?

Well put it this way, "traditionalists", in tv land at least, are now the "counter-culture".

Well put it this way, "traditionalists", in tv land at least, are now the "counter-culture".

I don't understand why critical theory and the Frankfurt School are blamed as the intellectual roots of so-called cultural Marxism, since people like Adorno spent a good deal of their time criticising much of the "counter-culture" movement as just another soft, consumer-friendly target for capitalists to exploit and conservative elites to antagonise.

This is an American video but it applies to the whole of western society.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4UZNzPTB_4

COULD A MOD FIX THE TITLE FOR ME? i missed the word society! :blush::hihi:

I have now watched the video and it is hilarious.

"The Joy of Sex", is culturally marxist. :hihi:

Looking up the site the video promotes you can see quite clearly these are the sort of people that would be campaigning to ban the book. :rolleyes:

Not only that they make the argument that because the Declaration of Independence refers to Citizens of the United States that were at the time exclusively white. Subsequent references that refer to citizens with a small 'c' refer to a new second class set of people. Furthermore blacks can only ever have second class status, because the Declaration of Independence was God given.

http://www.originalintent.org/edu/14thamend.php

So the video tells me Cultural Marxism is the favoured insult to prevent critical thinking of sexually repressed racist religious nutters.

GetItDone, is that a description that you identify with?

Archived