Mps get legal aid in expenses scandal.

They're entitled to a defence solicitor being appointed by the court if they cannot afford to provide their own, yes.

Is that the same thing as obtaining Legal Aid to pay for their own defence? And if not, which of the two are they actually getting?

Are they having a solicitor appointed by the court, or is the taxpayer merely paying for whichever solicitor(s) they choose to employ?

Courts in the UK do not appoint solicitors.

The Legal Aid scheme provides funding for some types of legal case. There are limits to the amount of funding available and there is some means testing for some cases.

You can actually choose your own solicitor if you get legal aid - anyone can but most people of course don't because they don't have their own lawyer.

The lawyer must have a contract with the Legal Services Agency (is it agency?), but the vast majority do if they work with criminal defendants. Of course, they have to agree, so the best lawyers would be registered but would only accept the high profile cases.

This is a separate issue, but the LSC is currently reducing the number of solicitors who can do legal aid work with a view to reducing costs.

"There is no financial means test for cases heard in the Crown and higher courts."

http://www.legalservices.gov.uk/public/can_i_get_legal_aid.asp#testing_elig

It seems a bit unfair that you can't get legal aid if you're in the Magistrate's Court and could be imprisoned, if you don't pass the financial eligibility test!!

But it seems they may have to pay at least some of their costs anyway:

"Legal aid can be granted to all defendants. The court can issue an order to recover legal aid costs if they believe a defendant could have paid for their own defence."

unless they have very creative accountants!

As they appear to be entitled to apply for legal aid, I don't see why they shouldn't - after all, they're just being treated like everybody else, they're not getting preferential treatment.

If I were them, I would hang my head in shame, having attempted to fleece the tax payer out of all that money, then for the police costs to investigate to cost millions and then to claim legal aid (again paid for by me and you.)

I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. But then some people have no morals

Archived