TV Show Idea - Where to go, who to address?

Hi,

I have got an idea for a TV show which I beleive could be very successful. My question is who to contact or where should I go to take this further. I am very serious and would appreciate serious and constructive replies. I am not going to reveal the concept of the show here. I am only asking for directions. Who ever is going to point me in the right direction will be contacted and further discussions will take place.

Regards

Hi,

I have got an idea for a TV show which I beleive could be very successful. My question is who to contact or where should I go to take this further. I am very serious and would appreciate serious and constructive replies. I am not going to reveal the concept of the show here. I am only asking for directions. Who ever is going to point me in the right direction will be contacted and further discussions will take place.

Regards

Your first course of action is to protect your idea. You will have to disclose it in order to pitch it, and if you are onto a winner there will be a host of snipers ready to steal if you don't hold any rights.

Your first course of action is to protect your idea. You will have to disclose it in order to pitch it, and if you are onto a winner there will be a host of snipers ready to steal if you don't hold any rights.

How do I do that?

Don't build your hopes up. Given all the thousands of TV channels all over the world, I guarantee somebody else has already thought of it.

Even if it was an original idea, unless you know the right people you've got no chance.

That's a bit negative Gordon! Perhaps a better outlook would be:

There are thousands of TV channels all over the world, therefore there are thousands of potential deals. :)

It all depends what kind of show it is. Finding a production company is very much like finding a publisher. You find a company that has a reputation for making the style of program that your idea falls into.

As a general rule you will need to be thoroughly tenacious and extremely thick skinned. Producers receive many "brilliant ideas" every day, and I can assure you from experience most are either unworkable or variations on a tired theme.

I recommend you put together an information pack including things such as what kind of show it is (quiz, reality, sitcom etc.), length of episode, the advertising demographic you think it will appeal to. This is particularly important as most companies don't make programs with a particular channel in mind and hope to find someone to sell them too.

If you can get your idea boiled down so you can describe it perfectly in a sentence.

Eg. "12 people are locked in a house for 12 weeks without any outside knowledge and are filmed 24/7. Each week the audience get to throw someone out of the house."

You need this to be as clear and simple as possible. If you can imagine a production company may receive a hundred pitches a day. If they cant find out what the show is and who is going to watch it in the first page of your document they will not spend a long time going through it. It will be fed into the shredder straight away.

In your document enclose your name the title of your idea and the synopsis on the first page. PUT THIS ALL ON ITS OWN PAGE. On other pages you can go into more detail.

If it's a drama try here: http://www.all3media.com/index.php

Reality: http://www.endemol.com/

You could try The Workstation by the Showroom as there are some production companies in there.

I have also got a couple of email addresses that may be helpful but I will need to speak to the people concerned before i pass on their contact details.

Send me a PM with the kind of show (no more details) and I will see if it's something they might be interested in.

Most of all though. GOOD LUCK and go for it.

Archived