Alcohol: How much is too much?

What evidence is there that the Government's alcohol limit advice is correct?

None whatsoever. It's based on an entirely arbitrary figure plucked out of thin air, however, I would suggest that drinking every night is a sign of psychological dependence.

None whatsoever. It's based on an entirely arbitrary figure plucked out of thin air, however, I would suggest that drinking every night is a sign of psychological dependence.

I know what you;re saying there, but would you think that in other countries that have a glass of wine or two with a meal, every night, rather than our seemingly binge drinking culture, that they have the same psychological dependance?

I've been trying to work out exactly the same thing :confused: I thought last week I wanted to cut down. Had one too many of those nights where you wake up and think "Right, that was good fun but I was a bit out of control and shouldn't have said or done that".

Wouldn't be too upset if someone said I could never drink again, but I do like it so I'm not going to cut it out completely. Not much point going to extremes - I am at no risk of being an alcoholic and do get socially nervous a lot so a glass of something helps. I don't drink when I'm stressed so that's not a problem.

So I've started with the recommended amount of units (2-3 for women), and the government advice to have a few days "off" a week.

The number of units is small to me (one big glass of wine, or two small glasses - I normally go up to three) but does seem to actually make sense (if I have that amount on an empty stomach I get far too giddy :help:).

Seems to be working so far; I've had most days dry for the last week, had three and a half glasses of wine over the weekend which is fine.

The government advice DOES seem to work then :) I know that for a typical heterosexual British bloke it probably is a lot harder (you ain't a Real Man unless you drink ten pints of Stella a night) but it seems to make sense.

I've been trying to work out exactly the same thing :confused: I thought last week I wanted to cut down. Had one too many of those nights where you wake up and think "Right, that was good fun but I was a bit out of control and shouldn't have said or done that".

Wouldn't be too upset if someone said I could never drink again, but I do like it so I'm not going to cut it out completely. Not much point going to extremes - I am at no risk of being an alcoholic and do get socially nervous a lot so a glass of something helps. I don't drink when I'm stressed so that's not a problem.

So I've started with the recommended amount of units (2-3 for women), and the government advice to have a few days "off" a week.

The number of units is small to me (one big glass of wine, or two small glasses - I normally go up to three) but does seem to actually make sense (if I have that amount on an empty stomach I get far too giddy :help:).

Seems to be working so far; I've had most days dry for the last week, had three and a half glasses of wine over the weekend which is fine.

The government advice DOES seem to work then :) I know that for a typical heterosexual British bloke it probably is a lot harder (you ain't a Real Man unless you drink ten pints of Stella a night) but it seems to make sense.

You're probably quite right, but I've never seen any scientific evidence to back up the Government's recommendation. I just think they want us to live longer so we can pay more tax.:hihi:

Archived