Plug Live presents The Neat + The Kicks // Free gig at Forum // 14.04.10

Plug

Plug Live presents

/// THE NEAT + THE KICKS @ FORUM \\\

After the success of our first 'Plug Live presents' gig at The Forum on Wednesday its time I told you about our second gig there next week! On Wednesday 14th April we have The Neat from Hull and local band The Kicks....

/// THE NEAT

http://www.myspace.com/uptheneat

"We are a new-wave-no-wave type thing, I suppose you would say angular sounding but with a wrap of spacey guitar. When asked how we spin, yes we met down a salt-laden street, 79 was the number somewhere in Hull. I remember it well, even the foxes had a glaze to their eye and we made strong, flipping cigarettes and contemplating song. And so a four piece is what we are. On lead vocal and bass is me, Mez, I like to make notes, my favourite drink are those snub-nosed tins of Heineken, they fit so well in the hand. On guitar 1 is Laurence. Laurence’s sound is sharp. He says, ‘He likes to drink Campari Bitters after six’. On guitar 2 there is Nick. Nick drinks White Russians and makes a baggy sound with pedals, sticks and a slide. And on drums we have Rich. Rich pounds and keeps, keeps and pounds, and will drink anything with a bubble past nine."

Quotes:

“Latter day Fall jostling with the XX Teens; the drums pound along mercilessly, while the sinewy guitar sounds like it’s been exhumed from 1979 and the dry staccato vocals stab mantras through the flailing body. Neat Neat Neat" - Steve Lamacq

''The Neat are one of the most exciting live bands in the UK. Capturing the essence of early Joy Division with the aggression and confidence of Public Image Ltd. or Gang of Four'' Subba Cultcha.com

"Writing an original rock track often depends on one simple twist, and with In Youth is Pleasure The Neat have invented some kind of bizare new drum pattern. Is it grime 'n' bass? Is it Acid techno? Who knows but by adding a B-52S-style vocal and an adrenalin gland's worth of urgency, the results are obscenely brilliant." Single review, Cindy Suzuki, Artrocker Mag.

"Its as snotty-as-a hooter-in-a-gale-force-wind agit post-punk by emaciated speed freaks" NME

/// THE KICKS

http://www.myspace.com/thekicks1234

January 2010 saw The Kicks hitting the studio once again to record a new demo! Their time has very recently been booked with 'Cellar Door Recording Studios' in Rotherham. They can't wait to get some new, improved tracks out there!

PLUG LIVE presents... The Neat

This is a FREE gig at Forum

127-129 Devonshire Street

Sheffield

S3 7SB

See you there!! x

Archived