What does it mean when a Manifesto states it will consider something?

Just been reviewing the Tory manifesto to check if I’ll be having to work an extra year before I can claim my Pension and much to my surprise this original policy has been replaced with “Consider bringing forward the date at which the state pension age starts to rise to 66 to as early as 2016 for men and 2020 for women”

So what does this mean to me, does it mean they are going to re-calculate this (they’ve already done it twice after George got it wrong first time)?

Whilst my gripe concerns this issue, I do welcome thoughts from any political perspective, on any issue where a party has put into a manifesto that they are going to consider something.

Is it really too much to ask that they put into their manifesto what they intend doing.

To be fair you could go over all 3 manifesto's from the main parties and all 3 will be full of things they are "considering" doing. What this actually means is they will say they are doing it but won't actually do it because whatever party gets in will have to slash spending

Just been reviewing the Tory manifesto to check if I’ll be having to work an extra year before I can claim my Pension and much to my surprise this original policy has been replaced with “Consider bringing forward the date at which the state pension age starts to rise to 66 to as early as 2016 for men and 2020 for women”

So what does this mean to me, does it mean they are going to re-calculate this (they’ve already done it twice after George got it wrong first time)?

Whilst my gripe concerns this issue, I do welcome thoughts from any political perspective, on any issue where a party has put into a manifesto that they are going to consider something.

Is it really too much to ask that they put into their manifesto what they intend doing.

Means it will likely never happen

To be fair you could go over all 3 manifesto's from the main parties and all 3 will be full of things they are "considering" doing. What this actually means is they will say they are doing it but won't actually do it because whatever party gets in will have to slash spending

I can understand that if it is something positive, but increasing the Retirement Age isn't positive for most people so why tell us they are considering doing it.

This one actually seems the opposite, they don't want to put something unpopular in so they say they are considering it and then they can do it and tell us they warned us about it.

I can understand that if it is something positive, but increasing the Retirement Age isn't positive for most people so why tell us they are considering doing it.

This one actually seems the opposite, they don't want to put something unpopular in so they say they are considering it and then they can do it and tell us they warned us about it.

You could be right, the flip side of the coin could be that they are wanting to put some policy in which they know will be unpopular but saying they will "consider" it. Sort of like when you are a kid and you say you don't want to go to the dentist and your mum considers not taking you?

The other one is where there is a contentious point, and the party want to attract voters who are for and against the idea. By only considering the idea, they avoid upsetting either group.

I suppose that is like the Hunting Ban, lots for and against Hunting so without wanting to take sides you state you'll allow a free vote on it.

They're not increasing the retirement age, they're increasing the age at which you can draw your state pension. You can retire whenever you want if you can afford to.

Life expectancy has increased rapidly over the past 100 years, and many of us will live 20 or more years after reaching state pension age. Wouldn't the option of working longer, maybe part-time, help to give people more financial security in their later years?

But you're right about the 'considering'. It gives them the option to say 'we've considered it, and after much discussion we've decided not to.'

Archived