Cat owners should be more responsible.

My cat gets fed every day, but she likes fresh meat. Ask any cat owner, if the cat likes to go for it's own food it will and there is nothing you can do about it. So would you prefer me to put traps to catch Mice, Rats and Voles over 20 acre's. With grain and vegetables the pests have to be controlled.

Rabits are dealt with mostly with birds of prey.

Killing wildlife is a fact of nature with all animals so I dont understand your problem.

As bieng a cat owner bieng lazy as a cat well it is not worth a reply that I can post on this forum.

Bold.

Yeah, by the wildlife.

There is a natural food chain (wildlife) on our island sandie. Cats do not contribute to this in a natural way (Wildcats of Scotland excluded). Domestic cats are introduced, thus upset the natural balance. All that is asked, is that cat owner's be responsible. Fair enough? :)

Bold.

Yeah, by the wildlife.

There is a natural food chain (wildlife) on our island sandie. Cats do not contribute to this in a natural way (Wildcats of Scotland excluded). Domestic cats are introduced, thus upset the natural balance. All that is asked, is that cat owner's be responsible. Fair enough? :)

Neither do patio's, decking or fencing or even insulating properties against the cold. Birds and small animals are losing valuable nesting ground and food supplies in our own gardens and therefore numbers are in decline.

Do you really think that cats hunting is a new thing? Cats have been here for a hell of a long time and they haven't made the kind of impact on wildlife numbers in towns we've seen over the last 20 years or so before then.

If you want more wildlife then you need to provide for it.

It's us that's the problem, not the kitty called socks from three doors up.

We need hedges, lawns... and weeds in those lawns for the insects and seeds that birds eat.

Neither do patio's, decking or fencing or even insulating properties against the cold. Birds and small animals are losing valuable nesting ground and food supplies in our own gardens and therefore numbers are in decline.

Do you really think that cats hunting is a new thing? Cats have been here for a hell of a long time and they haven't made the kind of impact on wildlife numbers in towns we've seen over the last 20 years or so before then.

If you want more wildlife then you need to provide for it.

It's us that's the problem, not the kitty called socks from three doors up.

We need hedges, lawns... and weeds in those lawns for the insects and seeds that birds eat.

I do provide for it mojo. It anoys me when I see pair of black birds and a pair of Chaffinches building there nests in my garden, only to be disturbed enough by a nieghbours cat to abandon thier nests!

A resident Sparrowhawk taking out a Finch, Sparrow or Dove, is not a nice thing to see, but it is completely natural.

Watching 'socks' maul, torment, and kill a fledgeling, then drop it at it's owners door, only to walk through the flap and fill its gob with Whiskers, is hardly natural.

I do provide for it mojo. It anoys me when I see pair of black birds and a pair of Chaffinches building there nests in my garden, only to be disturbed enough by a nieghbours cat to abandon thier nests!

A resident Sparrowhawk taking out a Finch, Sparrow or Dove, is not a nice thing to see, but it is completely natural.

Watching 'socks' maul, torment, and kill a fledgeling, then drop it at it's owners door, only to walk through the flap and fill its gob with Whiskers, is hardly natural.

You might do, petal, but we as a species don't.

• 8 months later...
Are cats classed as 'vermin' under UK law? (Serious question; they're classed as vermin - though people do have them as pets - where I grew up.)

When I lived in Lincolnshire, a local farmer used to get annoyed because I ate the pheasants (pheasants he had reared) which came onto my land.

He said: "YOU CAN'T DO THAT RUPERT! - I PAID GOOD MONEY TO REAR THOSE PHEASANTS! YOU CAN'T KILL MY BIRDS!"

I said : "**** off, Jim. - I paid good money for the plants which your pheasants ate ... Are you going to compensate me for the damage they did?"

"Ah, well, they're wild animals. - I can't stop them from eating your plants."

"Precisely, Jim. They're wild animals. - And if they come in my garden, you can't stop me from eating them, either."

Were I your next-door neighbour (on the other side) I wouldn't eat your neighbour's cat ... but I might sell it to a take-away if I caught it in my garden. ;)

Way to enjoy destroying someone's livliehood. If you live in the country where people will rear animals of that type don't be upset if it happens to you. You shouldn't have bought a house next to a pheasant farm if you didn't want pheasants on your land.

My post seems to have disappeared! Not sure why:huh: Anyway, if you cut up orange peel and scatter it around your garden it does deter cats. It's cheap, harmless and it worked for me. Don't waste money on manufactured cat repellents, they are a rip off and don't work.

Bold.

Yeah, by the wildlife.

My cat is a cross with a wildcat it plays with birds even the crows and seagulls.

As a rural comunity we used to have mice and rats within a mile radius our nearest neighbours are 0.7 of a mile away, my cat has stopped the vermin around the area and she is praised by our neighbours.

I will agree that in a confined estate they can be a problem, but please do not label all cats as a pest.

My cat does not do drugs, steal,damage property or cost the NHS due to drink.

Are cats classed as 'vermin' under UK law? (Serious question; they're classed as vermin - though people do have them as pets - where I grew up.)

When I lived in Lincolnshire, a local farmer used to get annoyed because I ate the pheasants (pheasants he had reared) which came onto my land.

He said: "YOU CAN'T DO THAT RUPERT! - I PAID GOOD MONEY TO REAR THOSE PHEASANTS! YOU CAN'T KILL MY BIRDS!"

I said : "**** off, Jim. - I paid good money for the plants which your pheasants ate ... Are you going to compensate me for the damage they did?"

"Ah, well, they're wild animals. - I can't stop them from eating your plants."

"Precisely, Jim. They're wild animals. - And if they come in my garden, you can't stop me from eating them, either."

Were I your next-door neighbour (on the other side) I wouldn't eat your neighbour's cat ... but I might sell it to a take-away if I caught it in my garden. ;)

Just like Danny Champion of the World.

Archived