Cat owners should be more responsible.

I never thought of it like that before, but I think you may have a point.

Oh,Ive got a very good point. Im reminded how good a point every time Im putting a few nice plants in and put my hand right in to a pile of cat s**t that some flea bag has buried. Adisgusting health hazard.:gag::mad:

If a dog owner can be fined for letting a dog foul the pavement,park,etc, Then something should be done to make cat owners responsible when they foul peoples gardens,destroy plants,etc. Never all that "cats are free agents" Its a cop out! cats are pets for lazy people with no respect for other peoples property. Get a lead on them,walk them and clear up the mess!

Yeah, right. Good luck with that!

First of all, I will not cause unnecessary pain to ANY animal. (I do kill animals [though usually I get somebody else to do that for me] because I eat meat. I have been known to kill the animals I eat.)

Second, I like cats and I've had plenty of cats as pets.

I've also had dogs as pets - and sometimes I've had both together. I like pets. (I've got 2 dogs at the moment.)

Where I grew up (not in the UK) cats were - and still are - classed as 'vermin' (though as I said, people did have them as pets. I suspect that the reason they were classed as vermin was that some of the feral cats were rather large, the island was small, the food supply (rats and rabbits) for the feral cats was limited and the cats posed a significant (and very real) threat to infant humans.

My farmer friend (and he was friend, though he used to get upset because I ate the pheasants which came into my garden) wanted his bread buttered on both sides. I accept that he spent money rearing pheasants (and he made more than a few bob from shooting days) but I spent money growing stuff in my garden and whereas he was upset about my depradations against his pheasant flock [i only took those which came into my garden, but I got most of those which did ;) - I'm very efficient] he couldn't seem to understand that I had a right to be upset about the damage his pheasants caused.

In the late 1980s I lived in 'the Land of the Flea, Home of the Plague' (New Mexico.) Besides Plague (both kinds), Hanta Virus and other 'interesting' bugs we also had rabies. Domestic animals were vaccinated against rabies, but feral creatures are a bit harder to control. The feral cat population did have a significant infection rate and although (for dogs anyway) people would only shoot those which didn't have a rabies tag, cats were harder to check and many of us put out bait (which wouldn't be taken readily by dogs and which certainly wouldn't be appealing to children) to reduce the freal cat population.

If your neighbours' cats are a problem, why not discuss the problem with the neighbours first?

First of all, I will not cause unnecessary pain to ANY animal. (I do kill animals [though usually I get somebody else to do that for me] because I eat meat. I have been known to kill the animals I eat.)

Second, I like cats and I've had plenty of cats as pets.

I've also had dogs as pets - and sometimes I've had both together. I like pets. (I've got 2 dogs at the moment.)

Where I grew up (not in the UK) cats were - and still are - classed as 'vermin' (though as I said, people did have them as pets. I suspect that the reason they were classed as vermin was that some of the feral cats were rather large, the island was small, the food supply (rats and rabbits) for the feral cats was limited and the cats posed a significant (and very real) threat to infant humans.

My farmer friend (and he was friend, though he used to get upset because I ate the pheasants which came into my garden) wanted his bread buttered on both sides. I accept that he spent money rearing pheasants (and he made more than a few bob from shooting days) but I spent money growing stuff in my garden and whereas he was upset about my depradations against his pheasant flock [i only took those which came into my garden, but I got most of those which did ;) - I'm very efficient] he couldn't seem to understand that I had a right to be upset about the damage his pheasants caused.

In the late 1980s I lived in 'the Land of the Flea, Home of the Plague' (New Mexico.) Besides Plague (both kinds), Hanta Virus and other 'interesting' bugs we also had rabies. Domestic animals were vaccinated against rabies, but feral creatures are a bit harder to control. The feral cat population did have a significant infection rate and although (for dogs anyway) people would only shoot those which didn't have a rabies tag, cats were harder to check and many of us put out bait (which wouldn't be taken readily by dogs and which certainly wouldn't be appealing to children) to reduce the freal cat population.

If your neighbours' cats are a problem, why not discuss the problem with the neighbours first?

Before what? Before I eat the wild animal (Gormengast) because it ate my snowdrops? ;)

Don't get that stuff from wilkos to keep them away its useless I bought some last year and followed the instructions and they still used the soil as a toilet. I would get one of those pir's that shoot water if i had a water tap on the front of the house.

my cat doesn't poop outside it uses a litter tray

Here here. Where I'm from, you get a hefty fine for letting any animal run around outside uncontained. Ie, your dog can run around your back yard (if its fenced or the dog is secured by a rope or something) but they can't just roam free - its the same for cats. You're allowed to let your cat out into your yard, or take it for walks - our cat was leash trained, but if they're caught by the dog catcher, there's a fine to pay.

Archived