Cat owners should be more responsible.

its easier to contain a dog than it is a cat, because...

dogs can't generally climb trees, and dogs can't generally jump as high as cats.. thus keeping them in your garden with a 6 foot fence round it is easy.. however most cats would jump this fence without a problem, and legally you can't go higher than a 6 foot 'border' around a property unless its privet, which cats will just go under... so, what are you to do.. its cruelty to keep them indoors (unless you provide grass and enough entertainment/excercize for them) and you can't contain them outside...

Lord knows - I just hijacked the full list off a site on the intranet.

The only liquid I have from the list is alcohol. Does wine count?

I'd just be a bit surprised if you can buy arsenic, strychnine or thallium over the counter any more!

That isn't true at all. If you stopped feeding a domesticated cat they'd soon die of starvation, just like a domesticated dog. They never learn to feed themselves.

Conversely, a wild dog (coyote, wolf whatever) and a wild cat are both perfectly capable of looking after themselves, otherwise they wouldn't exist.

TimmyR,

You are so wrong every cat we have had have been hunters, we have had cats in South Yorkshire/ West Yorkshire in an urban enviroment and now in Inverness in a rural enviroment. You live with the cat it does not live with you.

As regards vermin not at all they keep the vermin under control. As regards to your statement that "If you stopped feeding a domesticated cat they would soon die" you know nothing about cats, and they have learnt to feed themselves.

My cat now is a cross with a wild cat, but over 30 years all our cats have the survival instinct.

It would appear you do not know much about a cats nature and instinct.

its easier to contain a dog than it is a cat, because...

dogs can't generally climb trees, and dogs can't generally jump as high as cats.. thus keeping them in your garden with a 6 foot fence round it is easy.. however most cats would jump this fence without a problem, and legally you can't go higher than a 6 foot 'border' around a property unless its privet, which cats will just go under... so, what are you to do.. its cruelty to keep them indoors (unless you provide grass and enough entertainment/excercize for them) and you can't contain them outside...

Do that then.

If people can't provide that for their cats, then maybe they shouldn't have a cat. There is no excuse for letting any animal that is your responsibility to interfere with anyone else's property.

Ah spring has sprung and the first "get your cat off my land" argument has begun.

I wondered how long it would take :D.

It's good to know that nothing ever changes.

In case you hadn't noticed, I joined SF last month. Therefore I haven't been privy to past threads about "get your cat off my land". I started this thread because I wished to discuss this subject with other forum members. I entered the title when starting the thread to make sure I wasn't repeating any other thread, the search showed that I wasn't.

I am sorry if you and squiggs have seen it all before, buy I haven't.

If you find this subject a little boring, please don't feel obliged to take part. :)

Cats will go where they please just like any other animal out there (foxes, squirrels etc), who cares really? If someone's garden is so bloody precious they should make it animal proof or get a bloody life! It's the outdoors for god's sake, things poop outdoors, deal with it!

Saying that someone else would be responsible for vet's bills for injuries sustained whilst out is absolutely barking mad though, when I let my cats out I accept that anything that happens to them whilst out will be something I will have to deal with myself.

Luckily nearly everyone round ours either has cats and/or is laid back enough not to get arsey about it!

Walk a cat on a lead! HA! :loopy: I think you'll find cats are pets for busy people who spend far too much time out working hard at their jobs to look after a dog, and are therefore likely to be quite the opposite of lazy!

As an owner of two cats i think i may regret stumbling upon this thread but i hasve to disagree with that!

Not only that but next door but one's cat seems to come and go through our cat flap as it pleases and i have informed my partner that the next time it does i won't be held responsible for my actions. I've also informed my neighbour (who has a dog) that if our cats do go on his garden it's the cats own stupid fault!

We had this problem, resolved by fitting a 'Pet Porte' cat flap. It scans your cat's microchip and will only allow your own cat inside. It can be programmed for more than one cat too. Not cheap but ours has paid for itself in reduced food bills already!

We still have the problem of the little buggers spraying outside though but I just keep running after them like a loony as my cats are complete useless wusses :roll:

Cats will go where they please just like any other animal out there (foxes, squirrels etc), who cares really? If someone's garden is so bloody precious they should make it animal proof or get a bloody life! It's the outdoors for god's sake, things poop outdoors, deal with it!

Saying that someone else would be responsible for vet's bills for injuries sustained whilst out is absolutely barking mad though, when I let my cats out I accept that anything that happens to them whilst out will be something I will have to deal with myself.

Luckily nearly everyone round ours either has cats and/or is laid back enough not to get arsey about it!

Walk a cat on a lead! HA! :loopy: I think you'll find cats are pets for busy people who spend far too much time out working hard at their jobs to look after a dog, and are therefore likely to be quite the opposite of lazy!

My garden isn't all that precious to me vwkittie, but my children, who play in my garden, are. Get the picture? ;)

I didn't suggest that I had any need to harm a cat, I was merely responding to the quoted bit of legislation and speculating on what "reasonable cause" might be.

It appears that cats are considered to be property, and harming one would be criminal damage. I'm no closer to finding out what might be considered reasonable cause though.

Interestingly that specifically covers poison and drugging of the animal. If it were killed humanely then only criminal damage would apply.

Also, it's illegal to use your dog to draw a cart or barrow on the public road. Which is nice to know.

That is a reasonable question. I would also be interested to know what would be considered reasonable cause.

The answer seems to be even further from grasp, as many people claim that cats are wild animals, but as you stated, they are considered to be property.

Interesting.

Archived