Elderly drivers are not the danger many claim them to be

The RAC say that elderly motorists are 'safer than younger drivers' - so please get off our backs ! :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8618992.stm

It's always seemed fairly logical to me that retired people will have more time for their journeys and therefore drive less aggressively and most will have more experience too.

An interesting point in the report is that "63% of journeys by over-70s are by car, either as a driver or passenger" - this in spite of the free travel they enjoy on public transport.

This suggests that it's not the cost of public transport that deters users but it's the inconvenience, unreliability and lack of comfort that put people off.

A company whose sole source of profit is from car drivers, says that people should be car drivers? Yes, I'm sure I can trust that as being a completely unbiased commentary.

In fact, it's been shown that the reaction times of a 70-year-old are considerably worse than a 25-year-old who is over the legal driving limit. If the elderly are fit to drive, then so are the drunks.

The RAC say that elderly motorists are 'safer than younger drivers' - so please get off our backs ! :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8618992.stm

It's always seemed fairly logical to me that retired people will have more time for their journeys and therefore drive less aggressively and most will have more experience too.

An interesting point in the report is that "63% of journeys by over-70s are by car, either as a driver or passenger" - this in spite of the free travel they enjoy on public transport.

This suggests that it's not the cost of public transport that deters users but it's the inconvenience, unreliability and lack of comfort that put people off.

the one important word missing from this is "some". which realistically applies to any supposed definetive statement

I would say that at least 80% of the time an elderly person is the source of erratic driving, just this week I've seen:

Driving over the white lines of the M1 at 40 mph

Driving up the WRONG way on Rockingham St

Swerving across 4 lanes at rush hour on Park Square

All of these were elderly people. Whoever says they aren't a danger is talking out of their rectum.

Figures based, no doubt, on the number of accidents elderly motorists have rather than the ones resulting from their driving.

If there is someone sticking to 40mph along manchester road, in the 60mph zones, you can bet it's either an elderly driver or the driver of a silver vauxhall Astra.

I'm not saying all eldery people are bad drivers, but some of them will be used to driving when there were a lot less cars on the roads.

Us younger drivers learnt to drive on busier, faster roads so its normal to us.

I disagree with the DVLA's policy on renewing an OAP's driving licence. It is up to the driver themself to say whether they are fit to drive. I think pride will make some older people carry on driving when they are not really mentally or physically capable anymore.

I dislike 'Sunday drivers' who just dawdle along in their cars, and then get mardy when you overtake them and try to stop you by speeding up...

I dislike 'Sunday drivers' who just dawdle along in their cars, and then get mardy when you overtake them and try to stop you by speeding up..

Dunno why they do this. So annoying. And then when you cannot overtake they slow right down again.

And just so every one knows - from Wharncliffe side to Stocksbridge along Manchester road the speed limit is 60

Archived