Elderly drivers are not the danger many claim them to be

Elderly can be just as dangerous as anybody else. Only because statistics show this doesn't go for peoples experience.

I've seen the elderly turn randomly, pull out in front of you and then drive slow, not signalling, stopping at random times, not been able to see traffic lights and general lack of care and attention. Basically same as any woman driver out there :hihi:.............:suspect:

Somebody does something wrong, ie pull out in front of you they could be male or female, 18 or 68 and it could be something that they always do or the first time they've done it due to small lack of concetration. Stats will always come out but generally wont match personal experience of many drivers.

Take them with a pinch of salt!

I agree with all the replies to this post. I drive the A9 to Wick, The A82 to Fort William and on to Mallaig. Most of these roads are single Carriageways with little if any Dual Carriageways.

Ethel or Sam whatever they are called pull out at 25mph and if you are lucky get up to 30mph. We are talking about roads that are deristricted i.e 60mph. The road to Wick up the A9 from Inverness is a long one and when you have 65 cars behind can be frustrating.

As a previous poster said and it is very true it is not them that are involved in an accident, but those who are left behind as they carry on their way.

The number of times that when they reach 30mph and a car comes the other way we break ad travel at 15mph is stupid.

And when it is raining well it is time to pull in a lay by.

It is not just Silver Astra's, it is Nissan Micra's,KIA's and pretend 4 x 4's that are the size of a mini.

That brings me on to another point not only the over 70's and their driving habits, but the next class of stupid drivers is the Mothers that (attempt) to drive the large 4 x 4's on the school run and do not have a clue. Don't get me wrong there are a few and it is a very small number that can drive these about 2% the rest should not be on the road.

I in know way support Drink Driving, but 5% of all accidents are caused by alcohol and 95% is caused by so called competent drivers. Do we need to look more closely at the facts

Have to disagree....my grandmother is 84 years old and i fear for my life when she is driving......she actually mounted the pavement when picking me up recently...had to point out to her she was parking illegally right across the pavement.

Her mind isn't what it used to be, so her reaction times can be non existant at time....she really should stop driving now.

That brings me on to another point not only the over 70's and their driving habits, but the next class of stupid drivers is the Mothers that (attempt) to drive the large 4 x 4's on the school run and do not have a clue. Don't get me wrong there are a few and it is a very small number that can drive these about 2% the rest should not be on the road.

I was driving behind one of these on my way to Stocky this evening and wondered why she could not do more than 30mph - and often drove slower than that, and then noticed she was talking on her blooming phone the whole time. We hit a 30 zone - she put down the mobile and was off like a shot - way faster than 30 mph.

Sheesh!

This thread makes me laugh.

How many of the of the complainers of old drivers are going to voluntarily give up their licence when they reach say 65 years old because they consider themselves a danger to other road users.

By the way, I am 77 years old, had a full licence for 57 years (taught to drive while doing national service) still drive a car (Polo 1.4) and my insurance company considers me to be such a bad risk they charge the extortionate price for my car insurance of £208 per year for full comprehensive + protected no claims.

As always, the good come with the bad. My fellas Gran is 84 and drives an automatic Polo and is quite a decent driver, however My Granny (finally) got her licence taken away from her last year at 85, as she basically crashed into every lampost she could find.

This thread makes me laugh.

How many of the of the complainers of old drivers are going to voluntarily give up their licence when they reach say 65 years old because they consider themselves a danger to other road users.

By the way, I am 77 years old, had a full licence for 57 years (taught to drive while doing national service) still drive a car (Polo 1.4) and my insurance company considers me to be such a bad risk they charge the extortionate price for my car insurance of £208 per year for full comprehensive + protected no claims.

There are some very good older drivers because they have decades of experience like you.

However elderly drivers are more likely to have poor eyesight, slower reaction times, be in poor health and be physically and mentally less able than their younger counterparts. No-body will like to admit that they aren't able to drive anymore, so there should be some different system, like a basic competency test for over-70s, nothing too formal. But then you could say that for a lot of drivers! I see some peoples' driving and wonder how they passed a test, or maybe they didn't!

Was in the car with my OH last weekend and came across a car just stopped in the middle of the road, we had to drive around him. When he saw me staring at him wondering WTH he was doing, he reversed a bit towards the kerb and put the left indicator on. The driver looked to be in his 30's.

Archived