Sleep Problems, Help Please

hi folks,

i am having bad sleep problems and i can never seem to get a good nights sleep, i am doing all i can in the day times during the week to keep busy but when it comes to bed time iv had it,

i am suffering long term depression, have been on antidepressants for years and im assured theyr supposed to help me sleep but the only sleep i am getting is around 2-3am in the morning, then i wake up at around 5-6am, i try to nod back off then i wake up around 9ish,

its driving me mad, i dread going to sleep as i cant sleep and i dread waking up as i have another horrible day ahead

i dont work and i live alone, my flat is a mess i want to move and im haunted by things and cant stop worrying,

are there any sure fire ways to get me asleep without killing myself, as i often think that is the only way out

please help

I had some sleeping problems when i was worrying about my driving test, not on the same par as you like, but i took Kalms those herbal tablets and instead of calming me, they knocked me out at night.

Also with working shifts (on nights at min) you can buy over the counter sleeping tablets from Tesco - they work a treat in the middle of summer when you can't rest.

Chin up love xx

Hi Jason, I call these 'demons'. I have sleep problems due to worries about cancer and only having a 50/50 chance of life of 5 or more years. Accept the problems, if you cant sleep get up and do something. Distract your mind. By worrying about it you are giving yourself another problem to worry about. The demons visit during the night and you will find that most medications cause vivid dreams and broken sleep patterns. Try and chill a bit, do something everyday that you enjoy, if only for an hour or two. Try voluntary work, it may give you back a bit of self esteem and help ease you back into life in general. My demons visited tonight, thats why I am on here at 02.15 am. But I dont worry about it. There is no law that states "Thou must have 8 hours sleep each night". We are all different and have different sleeping patterns.

First thing to do is to stop worrying about it.

i do voluntary work at different places in the week, i am also setup with various activities and things to fill my week, iv bin to the docs and theyr reluctant to give out to many sleeping pills, probebly worried i may take an overdose or somethin

its easy to say just stop worrying but its plagued me for years and i cant just switch off, i cud do with having someone there to hold on to but im single and dont got nobody to help during the night, i feel so alone

sorry for rabetting on abit but i need to say somethin, whats these things u can get over the counter called, i may aswell just buy things

hi jason,

i was just wondering when was the last time you had your medication reviewed, surely your gp gives you a check up at least once a year. if i was you love i would make an appointment and discuss your sleep probems with your doctor, i would ask them about the possibility of being prescribed melatonin as a sleep aid. i would also ask them if the medication you are on should be changed.

nimrod is right try not to worry about not sleeping , the more you get stressed out about it the less likely it is to happen.

julie xx

Great advice, Nimrod. I also suggest trying to establish a relaxing bedtime routine - maybe bath, soft music, soft lights, a feel-good book, and gently trying to ease yourself into patterns that might be better for you, by making little adjustments, like trying to go to bed a quarter of an hour earlier than you did the night before, until you get a pattern you like. Make sure you're not too hot, nor too cold, are happy with the lighting, where your bed is placed in the room, etc. Trying hard to get to sleep doesn't work - aim to relax - maybe try a relaxation cd, - often I've fallen asleep by the end of them! - or just aim to spend time relaxing, and repleneshing your body and mind by deep breathing and letting go of thoughts. Lavender oil might help, just a couple of drops in a burner, or on your pillow.

Acupuncture helped me. After poor sleep for years. I slept for about almost two days solid, I suddenly felt so relieved and relaxed.

hi jason,

a little bit of info about melatonin for you.

melatonin is not a medication as such it is a natural hormone that the body produces that basically tells you when its time to be thinking about winding down at the end of the day and going to sleep. melatonin can be bought over the counter in most countries but not the uk. it is also used to combat jet lag. we use meltonin for our autistic son who pre melatonin slept on average 2 hours a night. at one point gp's would not prescribe it,now some do some don't. we get ours via a repeat prescription from rotherham hospital pharmacy.it's a great alternative to sleeping pills as it doesn't give you that groggy headache that sleeping pills tend to when you wake up. i would seriously ask your gp if you could have some. good luck, hope you get it sorted soon.

julie xx

Hi Jason, depression can cause sleep problems so it is well worth going back to your gp and insisting your medication is reviewed as well as telling him how you feel, something simple like changing your meds can help a lot so make that appointment and talk things through, I would be carefull regarding taking extra over the counter things as they can interact with depressants and make things worse, hope you get sorted jason.

hi folks,

i am having bad sleep problems and i can never seem to get a good nights sleep, i am doing all i can in the day times during the week to keep busy but when it comes to bed time iv had it,

i am suffering long term depression, have been on antidepressants for years and im assured theyr supposed to help me sleep but the only sleep i am getting is around 2-3am in the morning, then i wake up at around 5-6am, i try to nod back off then i wake up around 9ish,

its driving me mad, i dread going to sleep as i cant sleep and i dread waking up as i have another horrible day ahead

i dont work and i live alone, my flat is a mess i want to move and im haunted by things and cant stop worrying,

are there any sure fire ways to get me asleep without killing myself, as i often think that is the only way out

please help

The answer is 'Worry' You are thinking about ur wife, kids, finding a new women, getting a job, and everything else just mounts up.

You have a skill believe it or not, it's one where you are very good at negative thoughts.

There are loads of people out there going through what you are mate, so dont feel alone, because you arent.

Why not try a SheffieldForum night out with some of the nice people off here?

Archived