Timescales to book

Just got engaged and have no idea when to start/book things?

When do i book the venue/registrar? (aiming for Aug/Sept 2012 and i know how many guests etc)

When do i start looking for my dress and bridesmaid dresses?

Thanks in advance, never thought i'd get married and now i'm turning into bridezilla!

Hiya , if you know which venue you would like i would book it straight away especially for august and then the registra. Photographer would be the next big thing n then most things a year in advance will be no problem. I ordered my dress a year before and bridesmaids about 10 month before.x

Hi, I'm getting married in September this year but we only got engaged in september 2009 so had a year to plan everything. I made sure that I have booked the venue, caters and photographer in the first 3 months then had a bit of a break over chrstmas. I think depending on what sort of bridesmaid dreses you want depends when to get them. Remember that with all the dresses if you get them made from scratch you will need at least 6 months from ordering to wedding and that could be a push. we wanted like prom dresses for bridesmaids so we did january sales (christmas parties).

I thnk the best way is to sort the big things so you feel a little more relaxed then take some time looking in the magazines and stuff and really enjoy it and make sure you get exactly what you want. You'll miss the experience if you sort everything in a whirlwind hurry!

Good Luck!

In my experience couples fall into one of two categories:

- those who book at least 12 months in advance.

- and those who call up 6 weeks or less before the wedding.

Those who book late are often on a tight budget and have waited to see how far the money will stretch before committing to additional expenditure.

Obviously if you leave it late to book a photographer you run the risk that all the experienced professionals will be booked, but you may be fortunate, particularly if you wedding day is not in the peak season.

Many couples wait until Xmas/New Year is over, then have a blitz on booking wedding services. Certainly, book your venue as far in advance as possible - especially as you plan to marry in the summer months, as some venues will fill up their peak season weekends a couple of years in advance.

It's a good idea to book your Photographer well in advance too. I've lost count of how many enquiries I've had to turn down for June & July.

Best wishes with you plans,

Andy

Thanks for the info guys - photographer won't be a problem, got a friend whose is very good at what he does :)

Just need to wait till my other half actually gets a day off work so we can go visiting venues then :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I run a wedding venue in handsworth called the old rectory http://www.orh.org.uk

We normally book up all the weekends about 12 months in advance so all of 2010 is now full for saturdays but has some fridays left. 2011 is half full on Saturdays and we would expect to fill the rest by August this year 2011 still has lots of space with only 15 saturdays taken.

Hope this helps to give you a guide as to how quickly local venues fill up.

If your otherhalf can't get a weekend day off like ourselves many venues will show you round in the evening - Im often here at 9pm showing couples round

Archived