Petrol lawnmower playing up..

.....this is for all you Grease Monkeys or Green Fingered people out there.

I have a petrol mower that has been stood in the shed for about a year. I went to use it last week and the pull cord seems to be sticking. I have checked to make sure that the blades aren't catching underneath. When I spin the blade, it turns a couple of times but then there is a fair bit of resistance for about half a turn and then it spins again. I took out the spark plug to inspect that and found that the pull cord would pull fine once that was removed. I have just been to my local hardware shop to get a new one as I thought I had solved the problem.....but it hasn't.

Can anyone help please. I don't want to take it for repair as it might cost a pretty penny for something simple that I could manage myself.

Cheers guys.

did you check the spark of the spark plug when you had it out ?the cord to me seems just fine you do get resistance when first trying to start (we have the same when starting our stihl saws)if no spark give it a rub with some sandpaper to clean it hope this helps

Assuming you mean a cylinder mower not a flymo type.

With the spark plug out ..... pull the cord ..... do the blades attempt to spin? if so it sounds as if the "clutch"/drive belts are not clearing/adjusted properly causing the resistance you can feel with the spark plug in.

.....this is for all you Grease Monkeys or Green Fingered people out there.

I have a petrol mower that has been stood in the shed for about a year. I went to use it last week and the pull cord seems to be sticking. I have checked to make sure that the blades aren't catching underneath. When I spin the blade, it turns a couple of times but then there is a fair bit of resistance for about half a turn and then it spins again. I took out the spark plug to inspect that and found that the pull cord would pull fine once that was removed. I have just been to my local hardware shop to get a new one as I thought I had solved the problem.....but it hasn't.

Can anyone help please. I don't want to take it for repair as it might cost a pretty penny for something simple that I could manage myself.

Cheers guys.

I suspect the resistance is caused by the compression of the engine....do you have fuel in it...? You say it's been stood a year..do you need to prime the fuel system,?,there's sometimes a little button on the carburretor which you have to press until fuel comes out...

If you've got old fuel in it won't fire. The resistance is the compression of the engine, as long as the blade is not catching on the grass (try to start the mower with all height adjustments on the tallest setting)

New fuel & new spark plug should get it going. If you are going to leave it standing get some of this:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRIGGS-AND-STRATTON-FUEL-FRESH-FIT-PETROL-STABILIZER_W0QQitemZ360244380971QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA?hash=item53e03d052b

Stops fuel going stale & gumming up system.

Cheers for your reply mate. How do I check the spark of the spark plug?

The usual way involves you holding it wrong and giving yourself a shock while igniting spilled petrol!

If you are careful, particularly with regard to petrol being spilled out of the open cylinder (disconnect supply), you take out the plug, fit it back into the high-tension lead, hold the thick rubber of the lead and press the bottom of the plug against the cylinder to close the circuit.

When pulling the starter rope, you should see the plug sparking if it is OK.

Archived