Should all dog owners be made to carry clean up kits?

Nonsense. Cat sh*t is utterly vile, but cats aren't like dogs and go anywhere, independently of their owners.

Horse manure is completely benign, doesn't smell unpleasant and has no associated health risks. It makes great fertiliser.

A great many motorcyclists would disagree with you on that H, well the ones who did not die as the result of coming off their bike by hitting a patch of it would anyway.

As for cat mess, in total agreement.

Being a dog owner myself I think sheffield council should make it compulsary for all dog walkers to carry clean up kits and anyone found walking a dog without one should be fined £100.

Discuss.

Dog owners clearly should clear up after their dogs when out walking them and so far as I'm aware they can already be fined for not doing so.

But you seem to be suggesting the police (or other agents of the state) should have the power to stop and search anyone with a dog to check for 'clean up kits' which seems to be giving an already over powerful state yet more power over people.

... there was a woman in front (I presume she was a so called 'proffessional dog walker' with 10 dogs, all off lead. Not only could she not control them all, they were all pooing here, there and everywhere including slap bang in the middle of the path in front of her. She conveniently enough didn't seem to notice this and just carried on walking! I say so called proffessional because of the lack of responsibility (and pooper-scooping!) to other people and the dogs she had, as who on earth can safely contol 10 off lead dogs?

If she had 10 dogs off leads and (even some of) the dogs were in front of her, then who was taking who for a walk?

She was not the pack leader ... The one at the front is the pack leader;).

My next-door neighbour (until the end of last year) was a dog psychologist. (Germans seem to take 'owning a dog' very seriously; annual dog tax is high, the owner is responsible (and had better be insured against) any damage the animal(s) may do, the dogs are expected to be well-behaved and the owners are expected to know how to make the dogs behave. - Dog psychologists and dog schools do a pretty good trade.)

The individual dogs in a pack (a pack with a real pack leader, canine or human,) do not go off sniff at stuff, pee and poo whenever they feel like it. - They pee and poo when the pack leader allows them to. Were they to do otherwise, then the pack would become fragmented and would be endangered.

I've seen my neighbour out with his dogs; they're not on a lead, he's the pack leader (so he's at the front) and they are in a 'V' behind him. They are under control because they know he's the boss. HE is taking THEM for a walk. They watch him closely so that they know what he wants them to do and they do it.

Half of the problem with dogs misbehaving (IMO) is that their owners haven't got a clue who is supposed to be taking who for a walk and the dogs know that.

Every coat I own has dog bags in the pocket!! Plus I have bags tied to the lead!!! I didn't have a bag one time(the ONLY time) I did manage, only because a kind neighbour helped out, I have been paranoid since. It is disgusting to allow your dog to foul the paths and grass verges. If I see people allowing dogs to do this I offer them a poo bag, politely, of course!!!!

Archived