Drivers face ban for drinking a pint

That would be justified if cyclist error accounted for a large number of cyclist/vehicle accidents.

It doesn't.

It's usually driver error:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/dec/15/cycling-bike-accidents-study

I've seen many cyclists decide that the road is theirs and randomly appear in the middle, making other drivers take action to avoid them.

Adrian Tink, of the RAC, said: "The RAC absolutely backs moving the drink-drive limit in the UK from 80mg to 50mg per 100ml of blood.

"When 14,350 casualties, and over 500 deaths, were caused by drink-driving in 2006 alone, there is no reason why the Government won't bring the limit in line with the rest of Europe."

He added: "There also needs to be stronger penalties for convicted drink-drivers to act as a deterrent. Motorists want the roads to be safer and they want to feel like the Government is taking drink-driving seriously."

Cathy Keeler, of road safety charity Brake, said: "Current traffic policing levels are still disgracefully low. Improved enforcement can only be truly effective in tandem with a lower drink-drive limit."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-548749/Just-ONE-glass-wine-pint-beer-drink-drive-limit.html#ixzz0lGZxLc8u

That would be justified if cyclist error accounted for a large number of cyclist/vehicle accidents.

It doesn't.

It's usually driver error:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/dec/15/cycling-bike-accidents-study

I've seen some pretty incompetent cyclists whizzing around, which to me indicates they have absolutely no idea about the rules of the road.

Since they are so vulnerable I would have thought it in their own interest tbh.

Adrian Tink, of the RAC, said: "The RAC absolutely backs moving the drink-drive limit in the UK from 80mg to 50mg per 100ml of blood.

"When 14,350 casualties, and over 500 deaths, were caused by drink-driving in 2006 alone, there is no reason why the Government won't bring the limit in line with the rest of Europe."

He added: "There also needs to be stronger penalties for convicted drink-drivers to act as a deterrent. Motorists want the roads to be safer and they want to feel like the Government is taking drink-driving seriously."

Cathy Keeler, of road safety charity Brake, said: "Current traffic policing levels are still disgracefully low. Improved enforcement can only be truly effective in tandem with a lower drink-drive limit."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-548749/Just-ONE-glass-wine-pint-beer-drink-drive-limit.html#ixzz0lGZxLc8u

If a man has 3 or 4 pints in a pub then drives home safely without having an accident who exactly has been harmed?

I'd rather the police concentrated on speeding drivers or those who use their mobiles while driving as they're far more likely to cause an accident than someone slightly over the alcohol limit.

I'd like to know how speed cameras can breathalyser anyone and their increase in use has led to fewer patrols.

I've seen some pretty incompetent cyclist whizzing around, which to me indicates they have absolutely no idea about the rules of the road.

Since they are so vulnerable I would have thought it in their own interest tbh.

Your own personal experience, even if true, does not compare with the research that shows cyclists are usually the victim of sloppy, inattentive drivers.

Cyclists have a natural aversion to collisions since they are not protected by a two ton steel cage.

The top three cyclist accidents are due to driver error:

Passing too close

Overtaking then immediately turning left

Dooring a cyclist

Your own personal experience, even if true, does not compare with the research that shows cyclists are usually the victim of sloppy, inattentive drivers.

Cyclists have a natural aversion to collisions since they are not protected by a two ton steel cage.

The top three cyclist accidents are due to driver error:

Passing too close

Overtaking then immediately turning left

Dooring a cyclist

I can't argue with you on this.

I see it everyday as a motorcyclist.

Archived