Drivers face ban for drinking a pint

I am in complete agreement, it should be lowered to zero.

I have to say in general I agree with you. When I drive or ride my Motorbike I don't drink.

I do however use mouthwash which contains alcohol so just how you would police the zero alcohol in the system would be difficult.

When flying out to Spain, I only have soft drinks, because I will be picking a hire car up. I often notice folk that have been on the same flight, throwing spirits down them like they were going out of fashion, at the same car hire desk as me. :loopy:

I have to say in general I agree with you. When I drive or ride my Motorbike I don't drink.

I do however use mouthwash which contains alcohol so just how you would police the zero alcohol in the system would be difficult.

I guess the only way they would do that would be to take a person back to the nick and do further tests. A bit incovenient, but rules out alcohol one way or another.

I guess the only way they would do that would be to take a person back to the nick and do further tests. A bit incovenient, but rules out alcohol one way or another.

The system would go into melt down and the human rights lawyers would have a field day.

Mouthwash can dramatically affect breath testing equipment and result in higher blood alcohol readings.

However, in order to do so, you must rinse with the mouthwash and immediately blow into the machine.

"Mouth alcohol" (which is what you're talking about) dissipates very quickly.

So assuming proper procedures were followed, the chance that brushing your teeth and rinsing with mouthwash had an impact on your blood acohol level is practically zero.

Mouthwash can dramatically affect breath testing equipment and result in higher blood alcohol readings.

However, in order to do so, you must rinse with the mouthwash and immediately blow into the machine.

"Mouth alcohol" (which is what you're talking about) dissipates very quickly.

So assuming proper procedures were followed, the chance that brushing your teeth and rinsing with mouthwash had an impact on your blood acohol level is practically zero.

'Practically' is not the same as 'zero' though is it and mouthwash will affect the reading.

If the law says zero then how do you legislate for the grey area.

The legal limit for driving is 80mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood. There is no fail-safe guide as to how much you can drink and stay under the limit. Any alcohol, even a small drink will impair driving ability and the only safe course is not to drink any alcohol prior to driving.

Effects on driving ability

Alcohol is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream, this affects the brain and impairs driving ability. The following lists the major changes that occur to the human body as a result of alcohol consumption.

At blood alcohol level 20-50mg/ml

Inability to see or locate moving lights correctly. Problems in judging distances. Tendency to take risks.

At blood alcohol level 50-80mg/ml

Impaired judgement of distances. Impaired adaptability of eyes to changing light conditions. Impaired sensitivity to red lights. Severe impairment of ability to react and of concentration.

At blood alcohol level 80-120mg/ml

Euphoria setting in - overestimation of one's own abilities. Impairment of peripheral vision. Increased impairment of eyes' reaction to light and dark. Impaired perception of obstacles and deterioration of ability to assess dimensions.

At blood alcohol level 120-140mg/ml

Beginning of complete unfitness to drive. Serious impairment of concentration and vision. Very delayed and impaired reactions. Major orientation problems.

http://www.gmp.police.uk/mainsite/pages/roadsafetydrink.htm

The limit must be lowered. It is absurd that you can legally drive on the roads with your driving impaired to that degree.

A load of propaganda from the health and safety jobsworths!

Everyone is different, I've known people who could knock back 5 or 6 pints in a session and drive home without causing an accident.

Some even argue that a modest amount of alcohol makes you drive safer, because alcohol helps you relax, makes you less stressed and as a consequence less likely to get wound up about the actions of other drivers.

Archived