The Leaders Debate Megathread

By similar do you mean any newspaper or just the red tops?

The red tops and the 'blue tops' (Mail/Express) are far worse than any of the broadsheets.

At least the serious papers will offer a proper analsys, even if they ultimately favour one party over the others.

The Sun today for example has had to manipulate the poll data which overwhelming showed that Clegg did best out of the debate by using a silly 'Cameron would be best PM' headline.

Head over to http://www.ukpollingreport.co.uk for a decent analysis of the reaction, the main thrust of which is to ignore the newspaper 'voodoo' reports and check out the proper polling that was done by YouCov and ComRes.

Rubbish. For the last three years I've highlighted an area in the public sector where thousands can be saved in computing.

By consolidating our individual departments and sites buying equipment and Microsoft licences, and bought as one group we could get substantial bulk discounts.

Each year it's reviewed in a meeting and all I get back is "we're looking into it". My colleagues at other sites and I have looked into it and got figures and can show a clear saving. It might not be millions, but its a lot for one area which could go towards something else.

I am very surprised that a public sector provider has anything at all to do with that now. I thought IT services were all provided for under large contracts with external IT providers like Fujitsu and Capita. Indeed with the expansion of OGC business procurement most stuff is as centralised as it is possible to be.

The red tops and the 'blue tops' (Mail/Express) are far worse than any of the broadsheets.

At least the serious papers will offer a proper analsys, even if they ultimately favour one party over the others.

The Sun today for example has had to manipulate the poll data which overwhelming showed that Clegg did best out of the debate by using a silly 'Cameron would be best PM' headline.

Head over to http://www.ukpollingreport.co.uk for a decent analysis of the reaction, the main thrust of which is to ignore the newspaper 'voodoo' reports and check out the proper polling that was done by YouCov and ComRes.

All of which is quite correct but every paper is skewed theres no point singling out the red tops. In fact probably only YouGov is accurate because thats voting by actual people

I am very surprised that a public sector provider has anything at all to do with that now. I thought IT services were all provided for under large contracts with external IT providers like Fujitsu and Capita. Indeed with the expansion of OGC business procurement most stuff is as centralised as it is possible to be.

Sadly not. We're left to do our own thing at remote sites. Central council IT systems are all HP.

EDS (Now HP) has been given billions over the years to screw up the development of government IT systems and the contracts have had such soft penalties for messing up that they could not loose.

Getting back to the program, how many years has Brown going on about cutting red tape for teachers and the police. The good teachers I know are no longer teachers because of all the red tape, a point highlighted well in the program when they mentioned the 4000 pages of instructions sent out from Whitehall. Brown did not have much to say in reply to that. Saying that the Police now spend most of their time on the streets did not convince me, the police seem to think differently.

I dont think Clegg looked out of his depth at all. He looked very calm and collected.

I thought he was amazing and it was great how he kept getting Sheffield across. I feel proud to be from Sheffield today.

Well Done to Nick Clegg. He showed the other 2 up for the way they continued to argue like they do in Westminster.

Nick Clegg hates the way things are in Westminster and that showed in the debate.

With Brown and Cameron it was the same old, same old. They arrogantly think they know what 'the people' want and deliver the same old patronising drivel that shows that what they THINK is happening in this country and what the REALITY is, what WE are living with, are two totally different things.

Sure they were polished, confident and comfortable with last night's proceedings but Nick Clegg have me the impression he's spent a lot of time LISTENING to the public.

My main worry is people won't get out of this 'can only vote for the main two' mindset and not vote Lib Dems. The country will never get the change it needs if we continue to think like that.

If either Cameron or Brown get in we will have more of MPs thinking they're a law above the rest, more MPs expenses, more un-managed immigration, all the bad stuff we've got now we'll just get even more of it. If anyone DOES want change then it's time to get a government in that listens to the public, UNDERSTANDS the public and seems to want to SERVE the public.

My Mum, Dad, husband daughter and myself are all voting Lib Dems for the first time in a general election and I know many who are doing the same. I also know many who are dithering with 'well, I want the Lib Dems in but most people vote for Labour or Cons so I'd better go with that'.

Time to stop being a sheep methinks.:D

The point you made is absolutely true but people can vote for who they want. Voting Lib Dem is certainly not a wasted vote. I am sure that after last night people will consider Lib Dems as a credible alternative.

Archived