The Leaders Debate Megathread

I wonder if this debate will encourage people to actually read a manifesto or two. Put down the fiction and the "best sellers" at bed time and read something that can actually have a profound impact upon your life and the people around you.

If it's all down to mere perception then that leaves the PR wizards to work their magic over you rather than properly grounding your judgement of the parties in the policies they propose.

"I agree with Nick"......."I agree with what Nick's just said"......

Well Gordon why don't you bugger off & join the Liberals & let us have someone worth electing!

Sorry, wrong thread and all, but I had to ask - do you really find it worrying that men use moisturiser?

EDS (Now HP) has been given billions over the years to screw up the development of government IT systems and the contracts have had such soft penalties for messing up that they could not loose.

Being a veteran in working at large IT firms on government contracts (although now happily away from big firms and back in the private sector) all I would say is that most ****-ups are spectactular joint efforts between the IT suppliers and civil servants. The waste in the civil service is incredible - I once sat through a meeting with 20 senior-ish civil servants where they discussed for hours whether certain words should be shown in capitals or lower case on a website. That decision must have cost the tax payer several thousand pounds. And they later reversed it, no doubt after another big meeting. I'm sure the civil service would still like to blame IBM/Capita/Fujitsu/HP/whoever for their own stupidity though

I couldn't help thinking Clegg used Sheffield too much. It sounded like he kept mentioning it to prove that even though his accent sounded similar to Camerons that he wasn't like Cameron because he had a Northern Constituency.

Getting back to the program, how many years has Brown going on about cutting red tape for teachers and the police. The good teachers I know are no longer teachers because of all the red tape,

I can vouch for that. They're also sent on loads of courses relating to child protection, every child matters, changes to exam specifications and many more. And extra costs for cover teachers have to be met to cover these days, not to mention the quality of learning dropping for the pupils.

If there were more training days for this then there'd be outrage from parents on here. You just can't win.

I am very surprised that a public sector provider has anything at all to do with that now. I thought IT services were all provided for under large contracts with external IT providers like Fujitsu and Capita. Indeed with the expansion of OGC business procurement most stuff is as centralised as it is possible to be.

Quite often the departments purchase the licences even when the systems are delivered by third party suppliers. After all the users are usually in the department or consumers of the department systems ;)

Well I watched it and would like to vote for JLS. I thought the speech they gave at the end was so sincere!

Honestly, has the infantilisation of society reached this? The three stooges - aided and abetted by the 78 controls put on this 'debate' - merely parroted the same old same old.

If that is how people make their minds up at election time - by deciding who 'came across' well in a totally scripted and bogus programme - you must despair. What next? Deciding who's wife dresses better. Oops. We're already there.

Anyway. Can I change my mind to Joe McElderry?

We were deciding who came across better weren't we? Not who we were voting for on the basis of it. I for one am not deciding who I vote for on the basis of three staged events. I watched to see how their policies stood up against argument from the other two but was sadly disapointed as when a question came up they didn't want to answer they didn't answer it so nothing new there. They would have been better all being in Question Time, at least David Dimbleby would have made them answer the questions.

Well I watched it and would like to vote for JLS. I thought the speech they gave at the end was so sincere!

Honestly, has the infantilisation of society reached this? The three stooges - aided and abetted by the 78 controls put on this 'debate' - merely parroted the same old same old.

If that is how people make their minds up at election time - by deciding who 'came across' well in a totally scripted and bogus programme - you must despair. What next? Deciding who's wife dresses better. Oops. We're already there.

Anyway. Can I change my mind to Joe McElderry?

How about starting a campaign for Rage Against The Machine? :hihi:

Archived