The Leaders Debate Megathread

I was very impressed with the way he presented himself overall.

How he stood back, paid attention and actually LISTENED, whilst Cameron and Brown had their say. He appeared to take an interest, whilst the other two seemed to spend the whole time anyone else was speaking going over/making their notes.

On BBC this am they had some sort of body language expert looking at each of their body language and one of them said that she didnt like the way that Nick Clegg put his hand in his pocket and he would have to change that for the next debate then the other so called expert said that he liked it, it made him look relaxed so this kind of thing will always be open to interpretation.

I do think that you have to allow for the fact that all 3 of them would have started out quite nervous as experiencing something like that which has not been done before must have been quite daunting.

the most excitable one was Alastair Stewart and I felt that he really did need to calm down!:roll:

On BBC this am they had some sort of body language expert looking at each of their body language and one of them said that she didnt like the way that Nick Clegg put his hand in his pocket and he would have to change that for the next debate then the other so called expert said that he liked it, it made him look relaxed so this kind of thing will always be open to interpretation.

I do think that you have to allow for the fact that all 3 of them would have started out quite nervous as experiencing something like that which has not been done before must have been quite daunting.

the most excitable one was Alastair Stewart and I felt that he really did need to calm down!:roll:

I thought the fact that Clegg looked so relaxed made him look more in control. It was this attitude that made him shine over the other two.

Perhaps he just had an itch ?

Whereas Clegg did a great job last night and Brown sunk to 3rd place. I think Browns message is nothing new while Nick’s tactic will wear thin by debate 3 unless he changes. Cameron looked the most nervous of the 3 but that’s probably because he has the most to lose being in front in the polls.

All in all, these debates are going to sink Brown if he does not come across as more personable and have a bit more humility and honesty.

I wonder if this debate will encourage people to actually read a manifesto or two. Put down the fiction and the "best sellers" at bed time and read something that can actually have a profound impact upon your life and the people around you.

If it's all down to mere perception then that leaves the PR wizards to work their magic over you rather than properly grounding your judgement of the parties in the policies they propose.

As I suggested in a previous post that the wisest option would be to run through one or two of the blind policy tests on offer, everyone who has tried it out has found it useful and sometimes eye-opening. It certainly focuses the mind. But as I also said, if someone is to be a leader then their ability to put themselves across well is also key, for the necessary dealings on an international level for instance.

The two factors put together, the blind policy test and the debates, are giving me a fuller overall view of how I might vote than any previous election. I feel more engaged with the whole thing than I have done in years, and I bet I'm not the only one.

But ...even if votes were split 30/30/30 with 10% to 'others', then the seats wouldn't be split equally anyway. In that situation you'd end up with Labour winning far more seats than the other two, despite having the same share of votes.

Until we have a proportional system (STV, not the bogus Alternative Vote Gordon is trying to introduce), then its almost impossible for anyone other than Lab or Conservative to win.

Edit- have a play with this to see how it might turn out

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8609989.stm

30/30/30 would give

Lab 314

Con 217

Lib 100

Others 29

So what would happen if more people voted Libs (say 44 odd%) than Cons and Lab, or is that not possible? (if those that are singing libs praises actually voted for lib)

Have I got all this voting thing wrong?

Well I watched it and would like to vote for JLS. I thought the speech they gave at the end was so sincere!Honestly, has the infantilisation of society reached this? The three stooges - aided and abetted by the 78 controls put on this 'debate' - merely parroted the same old same old.

If that is how people make their minds up at election time - by deciding who 'came across' well in a totally scripted and bogus programme - you must despair. What next? Deciding who's wife dresses better. Oops. We're already there.

Anyway. Can I change my mind to Joe McElderry?

For a moment I thought you were being serious! (oh the shame) Scratching my head I thought I don't recall JLS being on the debate. Oh dear......:mad:

All in all, these debates are going to sink Brown if he does not come across as more personable and have a bit more humility and honesty.

How times have changed.

Personable, humilty, honesty - Thatcher never had any of those qualities.

Leaders are usually a tad more bloody minded.

I feel Clegg really played a blinder. However, to me, his performance was too contrived - although not in an exceptionally slimy sense, like Cameron. I'm not very pleased with Labour but have to admit, judging on content and not style, Brown was the frankest, most knowledgeable, and definitely he seemed to be the best at sums, which is what Britain most needs right now. In my opinion he's the most competent of them to run our country in the current climate, and the most genuine of the three.

Archived