The Leaders Debate Megathread

Brown has all the figures because he's been juggling them for 13 years

the other two only have the figures he's given them

if Labour lose then I reckon we'll hear the screams from the houses of parliament up here when the new chancellor finally gets their hands on the actual books and not the carefully edited and sanitized numbers being issued by the previous chancellor

Clegg won the debate, I'm not sure if this was because he came across well or because the Public recognised that the Libdems are actually telling us what they will do and on the whole like it.

I liked the way he was incredulous about the other 2. He just kept shaking his head when Brown kept saying 'I know that Nick agrees with me on this!'

Brown has all the figures because he's been juggling them for 13 years the other two only have the figures he's given them

if Labour lose then I reckon we'll hear the screams from the houses of parliament up here when the new chancellor finally gets their hands on the actual books and not the carefully edited and sanitized numbers being issued by the previous chancellor

It was, iirc, JFK who said that it was shocking to find when you finally got into power that things were actually a lot worse than you'd been saying they were beforehand. :)

Brown has all the figures because he's been juggling them for 13 years

the other two only have the figures he's given them

Complete nonesense.

All government spending is scrutinised by the public accounts committee which has members from all the main parties and is always chaired by the opposition.

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/psr_governance_public_expenditure.htm

Think - if what you were saying was true don't you think the Tories or Lib Dems might just have been saying something about it. Fact is they are aware of the true position of public spending.

Complete nonesense.

All government spending is scrutinised by the public accounts committee which has members from all the main parties and is always chaired by the opposition.

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/psr_governance_public_expenditure.htm

Think - if what you were saying was true don't you think the Tories or Lib Dems might just have been saying something about it. Fact is they are aware of the true position of public spending.

That’s public spending which is only half of the picture, what the government keeps secrete is tax receipts. The opposition parties have no access to this data and we have to rely on the government to allow us to know. This is why we hear very little about what the government actual receive compared to what goes out.

Interesting that Cameron did so poorly despite lieing in the debate, perhaps people saw through his lies?

http://www.leftfootforward.org/2010/04/more-cameron-claims-fall-flat/

It was certainly a common perception that he came across as untrustworthy.. and for good reason.

A left wing blog attacks the conservatives what a surprise :roll: Maybe labour are now feeling rattled by Gordon Brows resounding last place in the leadership debate and subsequent 3rd place in the polls.

For the record Cameron’s claims are not lies, they are true. The police force in question DID buy a Lexus. Judge that fact yourself. Do the police really need a Lexus to do their job well or could they have done with something less expensive, especially at a time when the country is being asked to cut back.

At least the conservatives are not opening calling for people to tactically vote in order to help labour steel the election.

Archived