Do Celebrity endorsements of political parties make any difference?

Now that Gary Barlow has endorsed David Cameron as his man for choice of PM, I was wondering if celebrity endorsements of politicians work?

That means the tories have him, Busted, Lyndsey de Paul and Geri Halliwell (she nailed her colurs firmly to thre mast adding that Thatcher was an inspiration for 'girl power').

Possibly not on those old enough to think through the issues and reflect on different political ideas - but on younger voters who are more impressionable?

I suppose there's a very real possibility it could make a difference. Especially, like you say, with the young and impressionable voters.

It's a pretty motely crew supporting Cameron so far. I don't those particular 'celebs' have any influence over younger people.

Let's just hope the well dodgy Katie Price keeps her political views to herself.:hihi:

Now that Gary Barlow has endorsed David Cameron as his man for choice of PM, I was wondering if celebrity endorsements of politicians work?

That means the tories have him, Busted, Lyndsey de Paul and Geri Halliwell (she nailed her colurs firmly to thre mast adding that Thatcher was an inspiration for 'girl power').

Possibly not on those old enough to think through the issues and reflect on different political ideas - but on younger voters who are more impressionable?

Can't see how they would change anyone's vote - although I thought Eddie Izzard's Labour broadcast last night was quite funny.

I'd have thought there might be a slight downside for the celebrity. For instance, some hardcore Labour supporters might decide they won't buy Take That records anymore.

Do Celebrity endorsements of political parties make any difference?
not to me, but there are still people who vote based on the leaders smile or haircut rather than past record or manifesto

not to me, but there are still people who vote based on the leaders smile or haircut rather than past record or manifesto

I have talked to people who will simply vote for the party that looks likely to win the election - to some people it is very important to be seen backing the winning team.

I have talked to people who will simply vote for the party that looks likely to win the election - to some people it is very important to be seen backing the winning team.

but as voting is by secret ballot they can put their X in any box they like and just say the backed the winners

no one will know they voted for someone else

Archived