Are vegan females less fertile ?

I have just heard a radio programme that asserts that vegan women have much more trouble with their fertitlity than meat eaters or regular women.

Without any research, it would seem to me to be common sense that avoiding food groups will lead to health problems in the longrun.

Does anyone have any experience of this kind of effect ?

I have just heard a radio programme that asserts that vegan women have much more trouble with their fertitlity than meat eaters or regular women.

Without any research, it would seem to me to be common sense that avoiding food groups will lead to health problems in the longrun.

Does anyone have any experience of this kind of effect ?

Pretty much all the evidence I've ever seen suggests if anything vegetarians (who obviously "avoid food groups") are healthier than meat eaters. "Common sense" as so often happens is wrong on this one, don't recall anything specific on fertility though.

Anecdotally a vegan I know well recently turned out to be rather more fertile than had been planned for. That of course proves nothing though.

I don't know about conception, but vegan women do have more issues with getting enough calcium in their diet for forming an extra skeleton than women who consume dairy produce and may also have more problems with anaemia during pregnancy, depending on how balanced and targetted their diet is.

Although most of the vegetarians and vegans I know tend to have a much healthier diet than the meat eaters I know, I do know one vegan who lives on chips and ketchup or toast, and that diet would contain insufficient nutrients to maintain a single adult body effectively, let alone two bodies at once.

I've never seen any comparative literature about fertility looking specifically at vegan women against vegetarian women, partly because I think that is just too wide a definition for a study. In order to have a proper comparison you'd need to control the diet of the subjects and look at how long they had been vegan because of nutrient stores in the body, rather than just take 'this group of vegans' as a whole.

Being a vegan will not hinder fertility, But, it is a well documented fact that humans need to consume a ballanced diet consisting of all the major food groups.

A pregnant woman should adhere to this in order to keep herself and her developing child healthy.

A vegan woman with child will experience cravings for meat and dairy products, this is her body speaking to her, and she should listen to it rather than her Vegan Monthly Magazine.

Being a vegan will not hinder fertility, But, it is a well documented fact that humans need to consume a ballanced diet consisting of all the major food groups.

A pregnant woman should adhere to this in order to keep herself and her developing child healthy.

A vegan woman with child will experience cravings for meat and dairy products, this is her body speaking to her, and she should listen to it rather than her Vegan Monthly Magazine.

Have you any credible evidence for this or is it unsubstantiated assumption on your part?

Have you any credible evidence for this or is it unsubstantiated assumption on your part?

I'm glad you asked Halibut, yes I have.

I will bet my bottom dollar that you don't have any evidence to the contrary. :)

Where is this 'documented'? I've read up on this issue a fair bit in the past and the studies seemed to show that vegetarians were at least as healthy as meat eaters. If there have been developments since then I'd love to learn of them.

What all vegan women will with no exceptions? You have evidence of this do you?

I'm glad you asked Halibut, yes I have.

I will bet my bottom dollar that you don't have any evidence to the contrary. :)

Is this top secret evidence or are we allowed to see it?

Archived