Beware! Facebook can be a marriage breaker

Does anyone else find it ironic that there are people condemning FB for its temptation to lead users into chatting with other people, on the country's biggest and busiest local online forum? :help:

I bet Sheffield Forum has ended a few marriages too... or at least led to a few affairs.

I think the biggest thing that is here is communication. I've always said that communication is the key to any relationship.

The trouble with the internet is that it allows you to lay down your thoughts where you might once have either put them in a diary or ranted at your mate down the pub.

Any ex that still holds a torch for you can then "tap" into your feelings and empathise with you, probably communicating better with you than you did towards the end of that relationship. You then put your rose coloured glasses on, remember the happier times with them, whilst you stop communicating in your current relationship. Whereas pre internet that would have taken quite a lot of work (or alcohol.)

I agree with everything that you say Edna’. I think that there are a lot of very naive people on here that think their partners won’t go down this route. Of course, not everyone will stray just because they chat to an ex on FB, but many do. It is happening all the time!.

I agree with everything that you say Edna’. I think that there are a lot of very naive people on here that think their partners won’t go down this route. Of course, not everyone will stray just because they chat to an ex on FB, but many do. It is happening all the time!.

But don't you think that if a person has the propensity to cheat, they could very well find that temptation anywhere? It doesn't have to be Facebook. It could be at the coffee shop or the DIY store or on a night out with the lads/ladies. I don't see how Facebook (or Twitter or SF, etc) can be to blame. The blame lies with the individual that chooses to cheat.

But don't you think that if a person has the propensity to cheat, they could very well find that temptation anywhere? It doesn't have to be Facebook. It could be at the coffee shop or the DIY store or on a night out with the lads/ladies. I don't see how Facebook (or Twitter or SF, etc) can be to blame. The blame lies with the individual that chooses to cheat.

Of course. I agree with you also. The problem with SN sites is that it is very easy to find an ex at the click of a mouse. This leads to quite innocent curiosity turning into temptation. The whole process would involve far too much time and effort if it wern't for these sites.

I'm not a facebooker but former colleagues were and did occasionally get themselves into trouble. I think that the site is a bit of a dangling carrot for a few donkeys to play around. Yes; it's their own fault/mind - but before the days of facebook etc the opportunity to meet ex-partners or flirt with others outside of the workplace was less.

So facebook probably has caused a few problems.

I've got two or three exes on Facebook, and I thought fella would find it weird except I was looking at his friends and he is friends with two of them himself :hihi:

IMHO, as long as you trust each other you can talk to who you want. If someone wants to cheat they will, with or without Facebook.

Archived