Another financial bailout? Airlines on the brink of disaster?

Airline bailout ?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Airline bailout ?

• No, let them sink or swim
    • Yes, we need them to survive
    • I'm confused

It's interesting how governments blame the free market for all our financial woes yet resolutely pursue a policy decidedly at odds with free market capitalism: bailouts.

But considering the country is drowning in a sea of red ink

In 1997, the national debt was £350bn. After Gordon Brown's reign of terror at the Treasury, that figure now stands at £776bn. Buried in the 2010 budget documents is an admission our national debt will soon double again to £1,406bn by 2014/15, such is the impact not only of ongoing fiscal profligacy but the financial meltdown caused, and then savagely exploited, by the world's "leading investment banks".

Link

what's a few billion more? When the ship is sinking, does it matter if you've left the tap on in your room?

its amazing how brittle we really are in the great scheme of things

Western sociaty is 3 to 4 days away at any time from total breakdown.

That's about how much food is in homes and shops.

But back too the OP spcificaly, I belive airlines should ne nationalised and held subsidised in order to promote trade and industry.

In other words they should be 'internalised totaly' with all the designs, parts, crew, fuel, etc etc held within the country.

Sod the airlines, some are not even reimbursing passengers for cancelled flights, while others are pushing up ticket prices to cash in on peoples desperation to get home.

The airline industry is not an industry that breads much compassion in ‘normal times’ let alone now.

Do they deserve a bailout ?

Certainly not! The airline industry has been spoon fed since its conception. They are still exempt from VAT on fuel. Those who use aircraft should pay with future fare rises. The current ridiculous low price of air travel is unsustainable. Its astonishing to see how many problems we create ourselves - without air travel this crazy market of flying green beans (just an example) from Africa wouldn't exist. Farmers in Africa will survive without the exploitation of the West, and we can grow our own food with sufficient intelligence; we just have to accept that we can't have grapes and strawberries in December - how will we cope? Our species is becoming more and more pathetic. What will our legacy be I wonder?

Let the aircraft industry suffer I say, its time those who use it pay the proper price for it. It is madness with the threat of climate change that subsidised air travel is cheaper than rail. Even advance Eurostar fares are more expensive that budget flights to similar locations. The planet truly is heading down the toilet :(

It's nice to know that Ryanair's boss, Michael O'Leary is losing a few quid.

Anyway, can't stop because I'm off to stock up on food for the next couple of months

As much as everyone knows O'Leary's an idiot, you've got to admire his skill at manipulating the media. On Friday's news they mentioned that all planes were grounded etc etc etc. But they also mentioned Ryan Air directly in saying he's grounded all the flights until Monday lunchtime. No real news there as by Friday this was looking likely to be the case anyhow, but a free name check once again for Ryan Air. The media fall for it - hook, line and sinker - every time he opens his mouth.

Certainly not! The airline industry has been spoon fed since its conception. They are still exempt from VAT on fuel. Those who use aircraft should pay with future fare rises. The current ridiculous low price of air travel is unsustainable. Its astonishing to see how many problems we create ourselves - without air travel this crazy market of flying green beans (just an example) from Africa wouldn't exist. Farmers in Africa will survive without the exploitation of the West, and we can grow our own food with sufficient intelligence; we just have to accept that we can't have grapes and strawberries in December - how will we cope? Our species is becoming more and more pathetic. What will our legacy be I wonder?

Let the aircraft industry suffer I say, its time those who use it pay the proper price for it. It is madness with the threat of climate change that subsidised air travel is cheaper than rail. Even advance Eurostar fares are more expensive that budget flights to similar locations. The planet truly is heading down the toilet :(

Totally agree.

Archived