What was the old name for the Prince of Wales pubs in the 1980s?

Joanna

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I worked at the Woodstock Diner / Exchange from 84 to 87. When I started the place was called The Woodstock Diner, this was under the control of Tetley's brewery, which was part of Allied Lyons. Allied Lyons took the decision to form a company called 'The Parasol Corporation' which was under the control of Taylor Walker breweries (I think I remember correctly), as a result all the Diners which included Rhode Island Diner in Derby, The Baltimore Diner in Nottingham, the Boston Diner in Leeds to name a few merged with the 'Exchange' brand which was mostly based in the south.

To be honest I do not recall the Woodstock ever being called the Baltimore and I would be surprised if it ever was but I wouldn't put my mortgage on it. Anyway as a result the Woodstock Diner became The Woodstock Exchange, shortly after I moved south to further my career at the Madison Exchange and onwards throughout the brand.

Many people at the time thought the Woodstock was called something else, this was due to the neon's in the windows, and one girl I got chatting with actually thought the place was called Schlitz!

Anyway I moved on and the Woodstock became the Real Macaw or something, I've often driven past the place but never gone in. perhaps next time I may just call in for a Schlitz.

Forkhandles

Archived