Re furbished Old Red Lion, Grenoside.

green pea

its being run by a mangement team and young lady from ecclesfield/hoyland/birdwell - food is towards expensive for what you get, very gastro and everythings made on premises, drinks are £2.80-£3 upwards minimum, complete ban on hoodies and caps, cctv everywhere, its an enterpise inn 'buy in' pub - rumours of a £48,000 buy in to secure the pub before refurb.

fingers crossed the place stays clean and looked after, and successful without any trouble. average age of drinkers on saturday night last week was circa 48-55. totally confused on how they can have 2 mega steps into pub at front, a disabled entrance at back with 3 giant steps and no ramp down to the level where the disabled loo is on - part m regs anyone??!!

I tried it out eventually, was very impressed! It looks very classy with a modern twist, the staff were very friendly and welcoming and a lovely relaxing atmosphere.

Not tried the food yet but the menu looks promising, will be trying it out very soon. Fingers crossed that it does well, Grenoside needed somewhere more upmarket with decent food and ales :)

• 2 months later...

Tried it out finally the other day.

The interior is much improved.

They have Bradfield Farmer's Blonde some other reasonably good beer. I had a pint of the Blonde which I feel they're charging a touch too much for at £2.80 a pint. I appreciate they must have big overheads, put £2.40 - £2.60 would be more appropriate I think. It also wasn't the best pint of this beer I've had, but I wouldn't have been justified in taking it back. It oddly felt / tasted like it was being kept too cold.

My wife and I were really, really pleasantly surprised by the food. It is truly excellent. She had the chicken and I had the fish and chips. Both were of exceptionally high quality - very fresh, good flavours and perfectly cooked. The puddings and coffee were also outstandingly good. I cannot understand why anyone would go to any other pub in the area to eat now. The food is very well priced considering how good it is.

My wife has already been again since for a meal with family and said it was just as good the second time. I look forward to eating there again very soon.

Archived