Forthcoming water shortages

No, this is more than not being able to wash your car or fill the Olympic pool in your back garden when it gets hot every few years.

This is about permanent shortages of water coming through the tap.

Already the south east of England is becoming critical, it will struggle to support the growing population so there is talk about building a desalination plant in the Thames, just like you might see in the middle east.

Some effects:

• Drinking water being rationed.
  • Not being able to flush the toilet every time you use it.
  • Beer and wine quadrupling in price.

Do you know of anything else?

How do you feel? Are you happy to pay more? Can you cut back your usage now? Will you do without?

What will it take before you change your habits?

So where's your links to facts and figures Tony? Where are the facts about water shortages being critical in the south east. Where's the info about the desalination plant?

I understand what you're saying but you make it sound like a normal Sheffield Forum scare thread that it'll happen in the next year.....which it won't.

Gormenghast, what point you're trying to make?

I don't really do scare stories. Predictions are for increasing shortages from around 2016 onwards

Thames desalination plant

Water shortages in the south east

There is plenty of evidence and information out there if you're interested.

Gormenghast's point is really the knock on point that I was holding back on. Our water / resource consumption is not confined to our own shores. Our need for imported goods is a major cause of shortages in other nations, but even though we are exporting our environmental damage it still looks to be coming home to roost in the UK.

It has been obvious that this will happen for a very long time. However this would affect much more than the price of beer and wine, it would affect the price of everything. There is so much industry that requires water cooling, every food you eat requires water throughout its growth. Long term the only thing we can do about this is population control-the only question is how long will it take the politicians in each country to realise. I think we are waiting for some kind of massive loss of life in the mean time we need the population to consume as much as possible otherwise we won't be able to afford such big houses:loopy:

hurrah, then we can use up the sea, there will be no fish in it anyway. Thus creating more land to build on so that the population can continue to grow.

stop the world I want to get off-no really!

I hope you're not being serious, you do understand the lifecycle of water don't you? http://www.rainsoft.com/learn-about-water/cycle.cfm

We don't use it and it's gone forever.

Archived