Ladies - how much would you pay for a nice handbag?

I normally pay less than £40 for handbags and I usually have only one every day handbag at a time (plus whatever evening bags one acquires over the years) and use the same bag until it's not serviceable any more before buying a new one.

However, this year I have made an exception to most of my rules. With my last handbag purchase I'd bought small and realised pretty soon that it was a mistake as there was never enough room to put my day to day stuff in (which is an issue if you have one arm which doesn't work- extra stuff in your good hand invariably gets fumbled and dropped a lot!). Then my grandmother died and I decided that I wanted to have something with which to remember her on a daily basis and she was a complete handbag monster and so a handbag seemed like a really appropriate thing to have, to the point that when I told my mum (her daughter) about buying a memorial handbag she laughed. A handbag is much more appropriate as a memorial for my nan than a picture or whatever.

So I set about finding a bag which met my needs and which I would be happy to have with me for a good long time and finally bought one which was initially £160 but was reduced to £70 online at ASOS. Now I have a portable memorial and a lovely, practical handbag all rolled into one. It was lots more money than I'd normally spend, but I expect it to last me over 5 years (as they usually do) and so that comes to a shade under £1.17 a month over that time, so I can't really complain.

I normally pay less than £40 for handbags and I usually have only one every day handbag at a time (plus whatever evening bags one acquires over the years) and use the same bag until it's not serviceable any more before buying a new one.

However, this year I have made an exception to most of my rules. With my last handbag purchase I'd bought small and realised pretty soon that it was a mistake as there was never enough room to put my day to day stuff in (which is an issue if you have one arm which doesn't work- extra stuff in your good hand invariably gets fumbled and dropped a lot!). Then my grandmother died and I decided that I wanted to have something with which to remember her on a daily basis and she was a complete handbag monster and so a handbag seemed like a really appropriate thing to have, to the point that when I told my mum (her daughter) about buying a memorial handbag she laughed. A handbag is much more appropriate as a memorial for my nan than a picture or whatever.

So I set about finding a bag which met my needs and which I would be happy to have with me for a good long time and finally bought one which was initially £160 but was reduced to £70 online at ASOS. Now I have a portable memorial and a lovely, practical handbag all rolled into one. It was lots more money than I'd normally spend, but I expect it to last me over 5 years (as they usually do) and so that comes to a shade under £1.17 a month over that time, so I can't really complain.

I have no problem justifying spending money on a handbag when my OH can justify spending £900 for a set of bigger wheels for his car.

I have no problem justifying spending money on a handbag when my OH can justify spending £900 for a set of bigger wheels for his car.

I have to budget carefully and £70 is two months' mortgage for me.

I say buy it. I've spent over 100 on a bag before, it was a Red or Dead - with matching shoes - that I still wear on occasion. I HAD just received a Council Tax refund though for monies that I'd paid over what I needed to.

I say buy it. I've spent over 100 on a bag before, it was a Red or Dead - with matching shoes - that I still wear on occasion. I HAD just received a Council Tax refund though for monies that I'd paid over what I needed to.

£100 ?? D you bad.... :hihi::hihi:

I have seen the most lovely Tula handbag in John Lewis, costing about £70. I tell myself I can't justify spending that much on a handbag but then again as my friend tells me, it would last me forever and I am not one to get fed up of bags and keep chucking them out. I know that cheaper bags do tend to fray and get tattered more quickly so I guess you end up paying out more in the long run.

I think I would just feel so guilty spending all this on a bag. It would ease my worries a bit if I knew others would or have spent that amount.

Honest, its got my name on it!

Just do it! Tula handbags are lovely, I was stroking one a few months ago. If it's something you are going to be using and looking at every day, by choosing something you like you are going to be making your day a little bit better, so it'll be worth it :)

I don't think I've ever spent £70 of money I've earned myself on a handbag, but that's not a matter of principle - I definitely would if I saw one I really loved (plus I tend to swap bags around a lot depending on what I'm carrying so I don't have one I use every day). Part of the pleasure of being a woman is enjoying clothes and things like that so if you have the money don't stint. Life's too short.

I have a gorgeous bag that is an "homage" to a Birkin bag . I fell i love with Birkins but there was no way I could ever pay £4K for a bag even I could afford it , Then , after my beloved Dad passed away, my darling OH decided he would get me one. He searched the web and found a perfect copy which is practically impossible to tell from real. He paid £100 for it from Italy and gave it to me for Christmas and it means even more to me than all the £ Million Posh spent on her Birkin collection.

Archived