Is our Parliamentery System outdated

Mr. Cameron and Mr. Brown are trying to tell us that voting for the Liberal Democrats may result in a hung parliament which would be detrimental to the country but most of European country's have a coalition government and seem to manage quite a bit better than we do is this because their politicians are better than the people who are supposed to be politicians in our country who seem as if they are unable to compromise and work together for the good of the country. I agree with Mr. Cameron that we do need a change but to the system and not to a different party, so I believe it would be a good thing for this country if the Liberal Democrats gained enough seats so as to force a change to the electoral system by bringing in proportional representational to replace first past the post system which is more like a dictatorship than a democracy.

Mr. Cameron and Mr. Brown are trying to tell us that voting for the Liberal Democrats may result in a hung parliament which would be detrimental to the country but most of European country's have a coalition government and seem to manage quite a bit better than we do is this because their politicians are better than the people who are supposed to be politicians in our country who seem as if they are unable to compromise and work together for the good of the country. I agree with Mr. Cameron that we do need a change but to the system and not to a different party, so I believe it would be a good thing for this country if the Liberal Democrats gained enough seats so as to force a change to the electoral system by bringing in proportional representational to replace first past the post system which is more like a dictatorship than a democracy.

The Labour manifesto states that if re-elected they will hold a Democracy Day next year, in which a referendum will be held on a choice of voting systems.

The Conservatives have flatly refused to consider changing first-past-the-post voting. However, they will legislate to reduce the number of MPs. The Tories know full well that this will greatly reduce the number of Labour MPs (and probably reduce the number of Lib Dem MPs) - thus likely as not entrenching Conservative governments in future general elections.

That's what I would call an elected dictatorship!

The Conservatives have flatly refused to consider changing first-past-the-post voting. However, they will legislate to reduce the number of MPs. The Tories know full well that this will greatly reduce the number of Labour MPs (and probably reduce the number of Lib Dem MPs) - thus likely as not entrenching Conservative governments in future general elections.

It's what people who actually look at the figures would call "England is solidly Conservative and has been for decades, and finally they'll get the government they have always voted for."

The Labour manifesto states that if re-elected they will hold a Democracy Day next year, in which a referendum will be held on a choice of voting systems.

Hows about a referendum on the EU?....oh wait, too late :roll:

Hows about Labour - knowing that the working class's just arn't turning up to vote - importing working class's in from the 3rd and 2nd world to vote for you instead - thus entrenching Labour governments in future general elections.

And will full proportional representation be on the list, or just the additional vote method?

...Hows about Labour - knowing that the working class's just arn't turning up to vote - importing working class's in from the 3rd and 2nd world to vote for you instead - thus entrenching Labour governments in future general elections.

I'm not familiar with the phrase "2nd world". But it seems you are not familiar with the fact that third world immigrants do not have the vote in UK elections.

And will full proportional representation be on the list, or just the additional vote method?

Link: http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-news/regional-news/2010/04/08/gordon-brown-promises-democracy-day-referendums-on-a-radical-constitutional-shake-up-92534-26198044/

"What Mr Brown called “the most comprehensive programme of constitutional for a century” included:

A referendum, by October, 2011, on the AV system for the Commons and on a proportional representation (PR) system for the Lords, removing the remaining hereditary peers;

Fixed-term Parliaments, removing the Prime Minister’s ability to call a general election at a time of his or her choosing;

A right to recall MPs guilty of “gross financial misconduct”;

A right to petition the Commons to trigger debates on issues of “significant public concern”;

Giving Parliament a free vote on reducing the voting age to 16;

A ban on MPs carrying out lobbying work – and a requirement for those wanting to take up outside jobs to gain approval from an independent body."

I personally favour a system of PR, and as a Labour Party member would lobby for PR to be included in any constitutional referendum.

I'm not familiar with the phrase "2nd world". But it seems you are not familiar with the fact that third world immigrants do not have the vote in UK elections.

Unless, of course, they come from ex-commonwealth countries.

Who can vote?

British, Irish and qualifying citizens of Commonwealth countries (including Cyprus and Malta) can vote at all elections.

'Qualifying' countries:

Commonwealth countries

Antigua and Barbuda

Australia

The Bahamas

Bangladesh

Barbados

Belize

Botswana

Brunei Darussalam

Cameroon

Canada

Cyprus

Dominica

Fiji Islands

The Gambia

Ghana

Grenada

Guyana

India

Jamaica

Kenya

Kiribati

Lesotho

Malawi

Malaysia

Maldives

Malta

Mauritius

Mozambique

Namibia

Nauru

New Zealand

Nigeria

Pakistan

Papua New Guinea

Rwanda

St Kitts & Nevis

St Lucia

St Vincent & The Grenadines

Samoa

Seychelles

Sierra Leone

Singapore

Solomon Islands

South Africa

Sri Lanka

Swaziland

United Republic of Tanzania

Tonga

Trinidad & Tobago

Tuvalu

Uganda

United Kingdom

Vanuatu

Zambia

Zimbabwe.

They do have to register (and they've got until Wednesday to do so.)

'Mugabe ... How do you spell that sir?'

It's not easy to get to be able to vote in the UK!

If you come from one of that extremely short list and if you are registered to vote, you may vote.

Archived