East West, London Road

jamesogt

Went to east and west for some Masala Dosa last week, was beautiful :) This place (and occasionally Khushi's) are the only curry houses I'll travel to reach (as Chaman, Kashmir and Mangla are 5 minutes away from my house).

So i plumped for the Chettinad Chicken Curry which was very nice though unusually the chicken is served on the bone. My friend had a Chicken Korma (Sad I Know!) which if you have eaten Korma elsewhere is nothing like I have ever seen, though apparently tasted OK, there appeared to be no cream or coconut, also this chicken was on the bone.

Not unusual for a proper Indian curry. Here people seem to like boneless meat better so that's what gets used, but in an Indian household they will always use chicken on the bone. It's because you can cook it slowly for aaaaaaaages to get all the flavours in and it won't dry out (unlike boneless meat).

There were several tables of Indian families but no cutlery on the tables, unless you fetched it yourself, though they seemed to be enjoying it eating with their hands.

Yep, another sign of an authentic Indian restaurant...no cutlery...

I too am a big fan of the Masala Dosas - the only thing I wish is that it was a bit nicer inside, as I like to feel like it's a treat when I go out for a meal, which the atmosphere of East and West doesn't really give me. But the food makes up for it.

Archived