Housing benefit and the private housing sector

I can't help but think of the waste of money that is being used to house people (in obvious need of social housing) in the private sector.

For example, one could buy to let, and rent each room separately to tenants claiming housing benefit. In effect one could gain a property through housing people in need of social housing at the taxpayers expense (by using others housing benefit to pay the mortgage).

Imagine if the 1 million out of work 18-24 year olds for example, all claimed the lower SSR housing benefit entitlement of £63ppprpw to rent in the private sector (On top of JSA/ESA/Income support/DLA etc. they already claim). Housing benefit to the tune of £3.25 Billion + annually could be paid directly to private landlords.

Then consider, all the others out of work, entitled to this benefit at a greater rate! Those in work (but on a low wage), whom are also entitled. The retired etc. (Although a greater proportion of people in the older age groups will have secured social housing and be less likely to rent from the private sector).

Also, consider that, the rate of benefit also will affect the price of private rented property in an area, which will in turn affect anybody renting out of their our pocket so to speak.

I can't help but think, that using that money to build social housing, would be a better use of it, than to potentially fund the mortgages of investors.

As someone who has worked in this area for years, I have absolutely no idea what you're blithering on about.

Housing benefit can be paid to people who can't afford to pay the rent, in order to pay the rent.

With the decline in the amount of social housing (and increased demand for it), more of this money will be used to house people in the private rented sector.

People who require housing in the social sector will be and are housed in the private sector, at cost to the taxpayer.

A buy to let investor could let a property to tenants claiming HB. HB effectively funding the investors mortgage, at taxpayers expense.

Housing benefit can be paid to people who can't afford to pay the rent, in order to pay the rent.

With the decline in the amount of social housing (and increased demand for it), more of this money will be used to house people in the private rented sector.

People who require housing in the social sector will be and are housed in the private sector, at cost to the taxpayer.

You have absolutely no idea how much I know about that.

A buy to let investor could let a property to tenants claiming HB. HB effectively funding the investors mortgage, at taxpayers expense.

They do, and have done for over 30 years. Your point is? Are you feeling OK?

Maybe I'm totally ignorant about this, but I can see what chem1st is saying...

I buy 10 properties on a buy to let basis. I then rent out all 10 properties to people on housing benefit.

I'm getting all of my 10 mortgages paid for (and making profit) by the taxpayers.

I have been told that if you claim housing benifit and your entitled to lets say £600 but your rent is only £500 you get the other £100 because its yr entitlement.

Is that true?

In a private rent i meant too.

There is a lot of information on the rules, why not Google it get the real facts rather than hearsay.

Maybe I'm totally ignorant about this, but I can see what chem1st is saying...

I buy 10 properties on a buy to let basis. I then rent out all 10 properties to people on housing benefit.

I'm getting all of my 10 mortgages paid for (and making profit) by the taxpayers.

And?

What is your alternative, families living in doorways? :roll:

There is a lot of information on the rules, why not Google it get the real facts rather than hearsay.

God im only asking seems that theres a few people on here what now what there on about so i thought id ask ALLRIGHT!.

So im GONNA WORK bye!

Wished i wouldnt have bothered asking :mad:

God im only asking seems that theres a few people on here what now what there on about so i thought id ask ALLRIGHT!.

So im GONNA WORK bye!

Wished i wouldnt have bothered asking :mad:

Are you 12?

Seeing as it is such a hard task I've done it for you:

LINK

Archived