Housing benefit and the private housing sector

Maybe I'm totally ignorant about this, but I can see what chem1st is saying...

I buy 10 properties on a buy to let basis. I then rent out all 10 properties to people on housing benefit.

I'm getting all of my 10 mortgages paid for (and making profit) by the taxpayers.

exactly and its been like that for years ,the landlords rely on the unemployed for a living ,a better idea is to make your property into a bed and breakfast hostel for the homeless ,you can double your income with state handouts

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/8069810/Lord-Freud-Housing-benefit-landlords-are-ripping-off-the-system.html

Yes!

They are going to get their comeuppance

I hope they get hit very badly by the cuts. The thieving gets.

i hope they now put the rents down to an acceptable level instead of profiteering from the vunerable .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/8069810/Lord-Freud-Housing-benefit-landlords-are-ripping-off-the-system.html

Yes!

They are going to get their comeuppance

I hope they get hit very badly by the cuts. The thieving gets.

While I'm not a fan of private landlords rent increases only appear to match the increase in property prices and therefore the mortgage they're repaying.

Housing Association rents are subsidised by government grants towards the building of properties - if HA's had to borrow the full cost of the homes they built from the banks then their rents would be as high as the private sector.

As someone who has worked in this area for years, I have absolutely no idea what you're blithering on about.

I read, and understood perfectly, what chem1st was saying.

He presented a reasonable and well argued post and I am amazed at your 2 responses to what he had to say.

I consider it bad form to shoot down someone's perfectly lucid post in this way and, especially so from a moderator.

I would suggest that if your understanding of the written word is so poor, you would be well advised to give up moderating.

I would also suggest that an apology is in order.

While I'm not a fan of private landlords rent increases only appear to match the increase in property prices and therefore the mortgage they're repaying.

Housing Association rents are subsidised by government grants towards the building of properties - if HA's had to borrow the full cost of the homes they built from the banks then their rents would be as high as the private sector.

so woudnt they rather get something from the tenant than to have the house stood empty costing them money? . 75% of something is better than 100% of nothing in my book

to be honest, theres so many things for landlords to consider if/when doing this that it makes it almost impossible for this to happen..

there's all sorts of tax laws if you have more than 3 people in the property, and your only allowed to charge so much, and if you have 3 or more you end up paying more out because the rent is classed as earnings (and added ontop of your daily 'work' wage) so rental income still doesn't fully cover a mortgage (obviously depending on the mortgage ammount)

then theres all sorts of rules that you cannot let out a property for the first two or three months, or even first three years (depending on your agreement, leasehold or freehold etc)

then theres other things to consider like landlords insurance (which is a legal requirement)

with all these extra costs ontop of a mortgage, due to renting.. its never fully covered by the rent charged...

to be honest, theres so many things for landlords to consider if/when doing this that it makes it almost impossible for this to happen..

there's all sorts of tax laws if you have more than 3 people in the property, and your only allowed to charge so much, and if you have 3 or more you end up paying more out because the rent is classed as earnings (and added ontop of your daily 'work' wage) so rental income still doesn't fully cover a mortgage (obviously depending on the mortgage ammount)

then theres all sorts of rules that you cannot let out a property for the first two or three months, or even first three years (depending on your agreement, leasehold or freehold etc)

then theres other things to consider like landlords insurance (which is a legal requirement)

with all these extra costs ontop of a mortgage, due to renting.. its never fully covered by the rent charged...

if they wernt making it pay they wouldnt be doing it would they :huh:

Archived