People taking photos of my car..

Last night my lad was playing on the front with a few friends.. Just before 8pm, he came running in saying there was a man and woman taking photos of the front our car..

He asked them why, and they said that it had ran into them sometime last week !!

I haven't ran into anyone and neither has my OH whilst driving the car !! I ran outside but they'd gone..

Suerly they must be able to tell it wasn't our car that ran into them by the lack of damage to our car, and I'm sure their photos won't show any scratches or dents in our car as there aren't any (apart from the big scratch down the back door where my lad went down it with his bike handle)..

I'm really worried about this as we're being accused of something I know that neither I nor my OH have done..

Has anyone else been in this kind of situation ?? If so, what can we expect to happen? :help:

A scam ?? Ohhh chuffin hell..

Well they'll have a job on their hands trying to prove it was our car that ran into them as there is no damage to our car at all, and I'm sure our neighbours will confirm that theres been no damage to our car as its always parked on the street and they can all see it..

I'm just worried about getting any nasty letters and stuff and what we'll have to do to prove it wasn't our car that ran into them..

If you are 100% that you have done nothing wrong (which you sound like to me) I'd contact none emergency number & report it to the police. They could be number plate fraudsters / scammers or anything. They could be taking photos of indentical cars with different reg plates for some sort of scam or theft. You just don't know these days. Get in first incase something untowards happens. Don't forget your incident number!

I was thinking about ringing them last night, but my OH didn't seem really bothered by it all..

He's unphased by it as he says theres nothing to worry about as we know we've done nothing wrong..

I never thought of anything like fraud or a scam or anything..

on Good Friday morning around 7 am i had a call from sheffield police to inform me that they had recovered my stolen van. I in formed them back that i hadnt had my van stolen and i was looking at it on my drive. They then told me the registration number of the stolen van and i confirmed it was mine.

I went out to look at it and found that the reg. plates had been stolen during the night. So it was obvious they had stolen some other vehicle and attached my plates to it, while they went out probably committing crime.

It may well be, that these people have taken a pic of your car and reg. number in order to clone a similar car they may have or intend getting with your reg details, so the implications for you could be very troublesome, either through unpaid speeding and parking fines constantly dropping through your door, or accustations of crime elsewhere in the country. Although you will be innocent in all of this, it could still end up a costly and time consuming business for you.

Im not saying this will happen, but it would be wise to call your local police and let them log the incident for any future reference.

What can the police do, it’s not against the law to take pictures of cars, I once saw a man taking note of all the reg plates in a pub car park and when challenged it turned out he worked for a company that bought and sold reg numbers, you never know you might get an offer of thousands for yours.

What can the police do, it’s not against the law to take pictures of cars, I once saw a man taking note of all the reg plates in a pub car park and when challenged it turned out he worked for a company that bought and sold reg numbers, you never know you might get an offer of thousands for yours.

But in this case, Malky, we are being accused of causing an accident of some sort..

If it is the case that you say, I can't really see how our reg can be anything special, it's just a standard reg plate, not a personalised one or anything..

If you are 100% that you have done nothing wrong (which you sound like to me) I'd contact none emergency number & report it to the police. They could be number plate fraudsters / scammers or anything. They could be taking photos of indentical cars with different reg plates for some sort of scam or theft. You just don't know these days. Get in first incase something untowards happens. Don't forget your incident number!

I think that's good advice, not only does it alert the police to a possible scam, but it also shows the OP as being proactive in sorting it out if anything does come of it.

Archived