Nick Clegg, " I don't believe in God"

Whats the point in this thread? Its not like hes running for priest

The point is organised religion still has power in the house of lords.

26 of them[unelected]

Nick would like them out.

The point is organised religion still has power in the house of lords.

26 of them[unelected]

Nick would like them out.

He's never said a word on that. A lack of belief does not automatically make you anti-theistic. Do not try and project your own wet dream beliefs onto another person please....

:rolleyes:

Does he not risk losing a lot of voters by saying that? I suppose the question is whether an atheist is more likely to not vote for someone because they are religious or vice-versa? It shouldn't really matter but I think it might to some.

I don't believe in god either, which is probably why I object to the assumption of my unquestioning obedience to a higher authority that MP's seem to have

however I have no problem with people who do believe in a god, providing they don't force their views on anyone else, and I suspect Nick Clegg doesn't either

I find it's people who do believe in a god a little too frevently who have trouble with me

Does he not risk losing a lot of voters by saying that? I suppose the question is whether an atheist is more likely to not vote for someone because they are religious or vice-versa? It shouldn't really matter but I think it might to some.

there are people who will vote a certain way because of a hairstyle or a smile

there are people who will vote a certain way because it was good enough for grandad, it was good enough for dad so it's good enough for them

and there are people who will vote a certain way because of the expressed religious views of the particular party leader

none of which have anything to do with politics

these people wouldn't know what a manifesto is if you hit them with one

but they have a right to vote as they see fit for whatever reasons they see fit and I fully support them in that, I just wish they understood a bit more about what they were doing when they put the X in the box

and besides it shows a refreshing honesty, would you prefer it if he said he did believe in a god when he didn't ?

I'd prefer a leader who told the truth myself

I bet Clegg only decided on his spiritual beliefs once a Libdem focus groups had determined that athiesm is currently more popular than religion. Shameless opportunism - he's been Libdem leader for 2 years, why's he suddenly decided not to believe in God two weeks before an election?

Archived