Nick Clegg, " I don't believe in God"

The answer is in the report

He later issued a statement saying that, while he was "not an active believer", his Spanish-born wife was a Roman Catholic and their two young sons would be brought up Catholics.

So probably there supporting his wife, I'm a non believer too, but i will still attened a church to someones wedding or funeral.

I bet Clegg only decided on his spiritual beliefs once a Libdem focus groups had determined that athiesm is currently more popular than religion. Shameless opportunism - he's been Libdem leader for 2 years, why's he suddenly decided not to believe in God two weeks before an election?

There's no question of the man 'sudenly deciding' any thing, he was asked a simple question to which he gave a simple answer, rather refreshing I would have thought and most certanly not some sort of liberal plot.

I bet Clegg only decided on his spiritual beliefs once a Libdem focus groups had determined that athiesm is currently more popular than religion. Shameless opportunism - he's been Libdem leader for 2 years, why's he suddenly decided not to believe in God two weeks before an election?
I've never heard him profess to a belief and i've also never heard him being asked the question before...

You obviously have not opened up the site location and looked at the date.

He has also repeated it since then when being interviewed.

Scrub that. He was asked in 2007 when he first became Lib-Dem leader. He said 'I don't believe in God'.

I guess that makes you happy GordonBennet?

From your article;

"He later issued a statement saying that, while he is “not an active believer”, his Spanish wife Miriam is a Roman Catholic and their two young sons will be brought up in the Catholic faith.

His statement said: “I have enormous respect for people who have religious faith. I’m married to a Catholic and am committed to bringing my children up as Catholics. "

So in other words he's trying to cover all bases and is happy to force his children to believe in God while not believing in God himself.

Let's face it, Clegg's so unprincipled he'd become a muslim if it would get him elected!

"I have enormous respect for people who have religious faith," he said. "However, I myself am not an active believer, but the last thing I would do when talking or thinking about religion is approach it with a closed heart or a closed mind."

Going by some of the vocal atheists on this forum, what Nick Clegg said there does not sound totally atheistic.

How about a picture of Clegg in Church pretending to be a Christian?

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/62323,people,news,whys-lib-dem-leader-nick-clegg-in-church-if-hes-not-a-believer

What a hypocrite!

Showing respect is not being a hypocrite.

For instance I remember a Lord Chief Justice who showed respect to his life long friend when he was burried at a catholic service.

His own church booted him out for it as well.

Some people in life belive in doing the right thing no matter what the outcome.

So that's why the 2 faced Tony Blair only discovered Catholicism a week after he left Downing Street.

I dont know why the pope [small p] accepted Blair, he'd just helped to organise

the slaughter in Iraq. What happened to 'thou shall not kill'.

Archived