Nick Clegg, " I don't believe in God"

So in other words he's trying to cover all bases and is happy to force his children to believe in God while not believing in God himself.

He's deferring to his wife; he may not be entirely happy about it, perhaps he simply doesn't feel it's important enough to make a stand on.

So in other words he's trying to cover all bases and is happy to force his children to believe in God while not believing in God himself.
There's a small point in that.

My Mrs is CoE (non-practicing), I'm Catholic (not by choice, brought up as, non-practicing for donkey's), but we decided our daughter would be 'nothing' until she's old enough to decide for herself whether she wants to be religious (whichever) or not. I don't hold the above to be the right answer or a universal truth, note, but just a stab at fairness for all involved. As a matter of fact, I'm quite happy that she follows RE at school, and she's really enjoyed learning about Noah, Jesus, etc. - I hope she will be just as happy and enthusiastic when learning about Buddah, Yahve, Mohammed et al.

So, does this signify that Mrs Clegg wear the boots in the Clegg household?

Much more importantly, does this suggest that a religious bias may exist/could be introduced in Clegg's political decisions at some stage?

(EDIT - HeadingNorth's post above acknowledged. To my mind, as a parent, having a child brought up within a religious context or not is an important consideration)

He's deferring to his wife; he may not be entirely happy about it, perhaps he simply doesn't feel it's important enough to make a stand on.

I agree, God is not important.

The sun is much more important.

How about a picture of Clegg in Church pretending to be a Christian?

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/62323,people,news,whys-lib-dem-leader-nick-clegg-in-church-if-hes-not-a-believer

What a hypocrite!

I've been to churches, I've even attended the odd religious ceremony, I still don't believe in a god but I respect the opinions of those who do

I've been to churches, I've even attended the odd religious ceremony, I still don't believe in a god but I respect the opinions of those who do

And that's the problem with athiests, they DON'T respect people who believe in a god. You only have to see the abuse poor old Grahame gets on here as proof of that.

I'm not religious myself, I'm an agnostic, but I find many athiests to be arrogant people who love to sneer at those with deeply held spritiual beliefs because they're ashamed of having no beliefs or principles of their own. For Clegg to go on record as saying "There is no God" is arrogant in the extreme and I certainly won't be voting for him now.

I bet Clegg only decided on his spiritual beliefs once a Libdem focus groups had determined that athiesm is currently more popular than religion. Shameless opportunism - he's been Libdem leader for 2 years, why's he suddenly decided not to believe in God two weeks before an election?

you bet ?

so you don't actually have anything actually resembling proof for the long rambling dissertation you tacked on afterwards to vilify Mr Clegg and his party ?

how much are you willing to bet and what proof are you offering to support this theory ?

And that's the problem with athiests, they DON'T respect people who believe in a god. You only have to see the abuse poor old Grahame gets on here as proof of that.

I'm not religious myself, I'm an agnostic, but I find many athiests to be arrogant people who love to sneer at those with deeply held spritiual beliefs because they're ashamed of having no beliefs or principles of their own. For Clegg to go on record as saying "There is no God" is arrogant in the extreme and I certainly won't be voting for him now.

The trouble with some agnostics is that they tar all atheists with the same brush. ;)

You've made a lot of noise about this but you still haven't clearly explained what your beef is with a politician consistently telling the truth yet who has some clear respect for those around him who have different views.

Archived