Why was Brown urging stranded tourists to make for Madrid?

What annoys me massively about this issue is that the government is helping wealthy and comfortable people who can afford to go on early spring breaks to foreign countries, with help from warships and other government sponsored help.

People who can afford to do this should be able to pay their own way home. I will not be able to afford a holiday abroad for several years because I am now on a lower salary. Why should I pay for better off people to have all this help.

I know a guy who owns a private airline and they are making a killing getting stranded people in and out of the UK.... at the cost of the passenger.

The government isn't helping every wealthy and/or comfortable person.

I am a tax payer and I want to play on a warship. No fair!

Seriously, the government don't have to do anything so the fact they are going to some trouble, at the expense of the tax payer, says something.

LOL...and what is that then?? Enlighten us??? :P

LOL...and what is that then?? Enlighten us??? :P

You mean sending warships to Spain and putting on some free buses. Or are you talking about a free go on a warship :D

Joking aside, with over 150,000 people stranded around the world, it would be a logistical nightmare to get everyone home.

You mean sending warships to Spain and putting on some free buses. Or are you talking about a free go on a warship :D

Joking aside, with over 150,000 people stranded around the world, it would be a logistical nightmare to get everyone home.

I'm talking about ''what does it say??''

But I'd love a journey home on a warship too...but then I'd be quite happy stranded in Barbados too!! :hihi:

...but then I'd be quite happy stranded in Barbados too!! :hihi:

It does rather depend on circumstances. The chap I know who's stranded in Florida with his family, still have use of their villa, and have adequate spending money to see them through, yes, wonderful, it's an extra week on holiday.

The families who don't have any spare money, have left their hotels because the room was booked to someone else, and have been sitting in an airport for almost a week ... rather less so.

Yes...I know I appreciate it's not fun for some...as I mentioned earlier my mate is losing a lot of money as their run their own business etc

I'm just saying I think I would cope better being stuck getting back off a holiday than trying to get away on one !!

A work colleague has just updated her Facebook to say her flight to Florida tomorrow has been cancelled :(

Bad times :|

I'm just saying I think I would cope better being stuck getting back off a holiday than trying to get away on one !!

That might be a personal thing; I've had both happen, and at least if I'm stranded waiting to go on holiday - as now - I can just stay at home. (I, too, am supposed to be in the USA ... flight rescheduled for Sunday.)

I'm talking about ''what does it say??''

But I'd love a journey home on a warship too...but then I'd be quite happy stranded in Barbados too!! :hihi:

I've spent a good part of my life aboard warships, It's no luxury cruise, believe me. The thought of hundreds of landlubbers stuck in a carrier hangar deck, complaining about the weather appals me.:)

I am a tax payer and I want to play on a warship. No fair!

Seriously, the government don't have to do anything so the fact they are going to some trouble, at the expense of the tax payer, says something.

There was a woman on the radio earlier today moaning about it being typical of the government to strand it citizens in other countries over a bit of dust.

I had to restrain myself from screaming "IT'S A VOLCANO YOU IDIOT!" in the middle of my office.

Archived