Birth Registration

I'm not too sure of how things stand now because the law changed around 2003.

I would suggest that to begin with the son should be making sure that he has "parental responsabilities". This will give him more say in what happens. I'm not sure if he can insist on his name being on the birth certificate though. In days gone by if the baby was born out of wedlock then the mother could choose which name she used. I don't know if that still applies though.

Perhaps he should be taking some legal advice before the baby is born. He can get this from advice centres or a solicitor.

There's also loads of advice concerning issues of parenthood on t'net.

I know that you can have the child named in the fathers surname without him being on the certificate. So if that is allowed Im sure you can have your maiden name on there.

I do think that it is wrond not to have both parents on the certificate if both parents are willing.

Call the registry office as they will tell you everything you require.

Her maiden name is also legally her name so I would think she could choose either.

To be able to class her maiden name as her legal name she would have to actually be divorced and chage all her documents and everything into her maiden name, unless of course she has her maiden name and her husbands name like some people do then she would be able to choose. On any documents it will ask of your previous names which means if she's married her name would be her married one, if only people could pick and choose what name they would have on any given day eh?? lol

The mother does have a lot of say though. I know somebody who had a child with her partner and the baby carried his fathers surname on the birth certificate. Then they split up and the mother changed the babies surname to hers by deed poll........and he couldn't do jack all about it. They'd never been married. This was only a few years ago as well.

If the girl in question has split up from her husband it would be easy enough for her to revert back to her maiden name.

Thanks for your replies folks...I'll pass some of that info on to him tomorrow .

Still a bit unsure about her registering using her maiden name though ... I would have thought that because she'll still be legally married she'd have to use that surname if she doesn't let the baby take his fathers name ?

If you mean, using her maiden name as the child's surname ... she can give it any name she wants. Wombongo-Smith is perfectly acceptable, whatever her own name might or might not be.

Archived