The British have been treated unfairly by our own Government

What about peoples insurance which may have run out while they have been stuck?

People who havent got medicine and are now poorly,

out of all these people i bet theres plenty who have got a story to tell, it will be interesting to find out how people went on.

Travel insurance usually has a clause in it which is about force majeur (and this is definitely a force majeur situation) so they probably have no liability to their customers at this point.

People who have run out of medicines are in the group considered vulnerable, who are being looked after by British consulates around the world, acquiring more medication, medical care and the like as well as accommodation (although possibly quite basic in nature) for this group once they are identified to the consulate staff. The elderly, very small children and those genuinely without means to fend for themselves during the wait are also amongst the priority group.

The ship which departed from Santander with civilians on board left with 200 of these vulnerable visitors.

I cant quote you all as your all asking the same question, i reckon they went a little OTT with this whole thing just over one incident which happend when exactley, its a shame the government don't have the same respect for our army who are in the middle of the desert.

Isn't there another amount of volcanic dust due on the scene?

Is the same thing going to happen again when the next one comes, i also think i heard the last time this certain volcano erupted it lasted 2 years?????

If it lasted two years then I suppose there wouldn't be many flights for two years.

If it lasted two years then I suppose there wouldn't be many flights for two years.

Well thats what i heard on the old sky news the other day, are the clouds free of this crap now or are the government taking somewhat of a risk knowing we have only just got rid and theres more on the way?

Is the same thing going to happen again when the next one comes, i also think i heard the last time this certain volcano erupted it lasted 2 years?????

In the past, both the Meteorological Service and the predecesor of NATS were state-owned departments.

They are both now privatised departments, chasing the dollar/shareholders.

Had Air Traffic Control stayed, entirely in public contol, this situation would not have arisen.

In the past, both the Meteorological Service and the predecesor of NATS were state-owned departments.

They are both now privatised departments, chasing the dollar/shareholders.

Had Air Traffic Control stayed, entirely in public contol, this situation would not have arisen.

Typical of the greedy world today......

It did last for some time, but that was almost 180 years ago and there was no experience of mechanised flight with atmospheric volcanic ash clouds at the time.

The important thing other than the concentration of the ash is the height within the atmosphere of the cloud. The concentration of ash which was originally causing the flight embargo was really high up in the atmosphere, at around the height that aircraft cruise.

This cloud has now mostly dispersed to a lower, more safe concentration and the ash clouds being pumped out by the volcano are now at a much lower altitude, even though they are still dense. At this altitude the ash is not a threat to jet aircraft as they are only exposed to it during landing and take off, so they are through that level in minutes of each flight, rather than cruising in it for hours.

Flights are now resuming around the UK and I'm sure that the safety of passengers will remain the priority of the CAA and air traffic control people, so if they have to be suspended again temporarily during the eruption they will do so.

Well thats what i heard on the old sky news the other day, are the clouds free of this crap now or are the government taking somewhat of a risk knowing we have only just got rid and theres more on the way?

They wouldn't take a risk. After the BA flight 9 incident in the airspace around Mount Galunggung (it wasn't the first one) the Indonesian government closed the airspace permanently and re-routed airways to avoid the area.

Well here I am in Florida. We were sat on the plane ready to fly home, champagne in hand, when it was cancelled. A two week holiday has now turned into three, with the accomodation tab picked up by Virgin. My business can function without me, so we're okay. Seaworld have given stranded tourists free entry, and there is some good spirit with tourists who have been thrown together in cheap hotels.

At the other end of the scale there are some people deeply distressed. People that have run out of money, a man who's father has just been rushed into a UK hospital after a stroke, and the parents who's son's medication for epilepsy runs out in a couple of days.

Well here I am in Florida. We were sat on the plane ready to fly home, champagne in hand, when it was cancelled. A two week holiday has now turned into three, with the accomodation tab picked up by Virgin. My business can function without me, so we're okay. Seaworld have given stranded tourists free entry, and there is some good spirit with tourists who have been thrown together in cheap hotels.

At the other end of the scale there are some people deeply distressed. People that have run out of money, a man who's father has just been rushed into a UK hospital after a stroke, and the parents who's son's medication for epilepsy runs out in a couple of days.

Thats my point in a way really, not everyone is as lucky as others, some people will have really struggled through this and will feel really let down by the British governments slow response (as always).

Archived