Bouncers in Sheffield

SiSiSi

There have been a number of threads on the forum about bouncers. Just found these quotes from Wikipedia:

'Studies suggest that one of the reasons that some bouncers emphasise physical force is their self image as a strongly masculine group, which requires them to respond to aggression in violent ways.'

' Violent incidents in public drinking locations are caused by the interaction of five factors: aggressive and unreasonable bouncers, groups of male strangers, low comfort (e.g., unventilated, hot clubs), high boredom, and high drunkenness. The research indicated that bouncers did not play as large a role "... as expected in the creation of an aggressive or violence prone atmosphere [in bars]." However, the study did show that "...edgy and aggressive bouncers, especially when they are arbitrary or petty in their manner, do have an adverse effect." The study stated that bouncers:

"...have been observed to initiate fights or further encourage them on several occasions. Many seem poorly trained, obsessed with their own machismo, and relate badly to groups of male strangers. Some of them appear to regard their employment as giving them a licence to assault people. This may be encouraged by management adherence to a repressive model of supervision of patrons ("if they play up, thump 'em"), which in fact does not reduce trouble, and exacerbates an already hostile and aggressive situation. In practice many bouncers are not well managed in their work, and appear to be given a job autonomy and discretion that they cannot handle well."

' Various other elements, such as body language or physical looks (muscles, shaved heads) were also described as often expected for entry into bouncing - being part of the symbolic 'narratives of intimidation' that set bouncers apart in their work environment.'

'British research from the 1990s also indicates that a major part of both the group identity and the job satisfaction of bouncers is related to their self image as a strongly masculine person who is capable of dealing with – and dealing out – violence'

Just about sums 'em up I reckon!

• 7 months later...

a bit late in response...but i just thought id say i enjoyed reading that because it sounds so true, i just get the feeling most bouncers are looking for a fight, and its not fair the way they dont ask everyone for ID

yes im 17 and i have tried getting past a a few bouncers but if someone is good at persuading/lying there is no way it should allow them to pass, they dont treat everyone the same.

You'll have to give it a go , eg. saturday night a couple of pi**ed up slappers who threaten to scratch yer eyes out or some lads who think they're Bruce Lee .

bouncers ain't perfect but who is , the ones i've met treat you with respect if you treat them with respect !.

Just to give a bit of balance to this discussion I've seen bouncers carry out drunken people in their arms, look after people who have got injured because they got too drunk and have fallen. They aren't all bad I have several friends who are bouncers and they are great blokes, friendly, patient and tolerant. There are good and bad in all walks of life.

Compared to the doormen in Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham and Liverpool, we've got pretty decent ones. I used to be a doorman in Manchester in a previous life, not exactly the best city for doorstaff/punter camaraderie. You get the odd bad egg in Sheffield (Leadmill in particular), but we've got it far better than Liverpool, for example. I'd rate their doormen as the worst in the country.

By "bouncers" do we mean men and women who hold a "Door Supervisors license"?

If so the we should include the brilliant men and women who, for instance, patrol the City Centre through the night and at weekends. As a person who live and works in the City Centre I regularly encounter them on my travels and have found them to be unfailingly courteous and helpful. They were also very helpful to a relative of mine from out of town who got lost in the early hours of the morning and was refused help by the Police and station staff at Midland Station.

They make Sheffield City Centre a safer and pleasant place to be during the night.

I like that Door supervisor = bouncer or Nocturnal Attitude Adjustment Technician

Others could be

Food technician- cook

Home Waste Disposal Expert-bin man

Vision Technician-window cleaner

Customer Experience Enhancement Consultant – Shop Assistant

Beverage Dissemination Officer – Barman

Archived