Ryan air refuse to pay.

I see O'Learey and his team are refusing to pay any costs to the people who they promise to bring home,whats your oppinions on this.

They'll end up paying, if they don't then they will be forced by law and this will increase their costs considerably.

Hes right though. For 10 euro fare 800 euros in hotel bills is wrong.

Part of their license to operate is that they obey the law, the law says they have to pay. They knew exactly what they were getting into, why should they be allowed to worm out of it when it suits them.

Running an airline is a risky business, if they can't take the heat then they should give up.

Any company would be like that

Most companies might try it on, but in the end they'll pay.

Even though I'd naturally take the side of individuals against multi ££billion commercial concerns - it does seem odd that airlines have to foot the bill for the disruption caused by geological activity. People don't generally get compenstated for the effcts of earthquakes or tornadoes, so why should volcanoes be any different?

Yes it does, but only partially. I explained fully above, but briefly, the airline MUST offer rerouting or refund. If the passenger chooses rerouting then the airline must pay their costs whilst waiting to be rerouted.

So how is the airline supposed to reroute customers if the routes have been closed?:huh:

Even though I'd naturally take the side of individuals against multi ££billion commercial concerns - it does seem odd that airlines have to foot the bill for the disruption caused by geological activity. People don't generally get compenstated for the effcts of earthquakes or tornadoes, so why should volcanoes be any different?

I would agree if for some reason beyond your control you miss the flight,would they refund your money,would the heck.

Well that echoes my thoughts too, I am no fan of O'leary but whether he caved in due to the threat of legal fines he would have been threatened with, I still think he has made a valid point this time.

The EU regulations were designed to protect consumers if the airline somehow let's them down.

Now obviously Ryan Air hasn't let their customers down in this instance and therefore I don't think they or any airlines should foot the bill just because the EU regulations doesn't include an exclusion clause about Volcanic Ash shut downs.

Hopefully pressure on various airlline organisations will lobby to get the EU regulations rewritten to cover any similar shut downs in the future.

And let's not forget all airlines will want to recover their costs, so unless they get compensation from the EU then it's likely that higher prices will be charged in the future, so all airline passengers eventually end up paying more.

I would agree if for some reason beyond your control you miss the flight,would they refund your money,would the heck.

This is part of the issue with me. We have all heard of plenty of stories when someone has fallen foul of small print in Ryan Air's contract, with absolutely no leniency from Ryan Air who stick to the line - it was in the contract you agreed to.

I am afraid this goes both ways.

This is part of the issue with me. We have all heard of plenty of stories when someone has fallen foul of small print in Ryan Air's contract, with absolutely no leniency from Ryan Air who stick to the line - it was in the contract you agreed to.

I am afraid this goes both ways.

The thing is though, you will be hard pressed to prove that you missing your filght was beyond your control, where as the airlines have proof that it was beyond their control.

Let's remember ALL EU airlines, even the lenient ones had to pay up.

Archived